Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking that this might be the GPS for me for both on and off hwy use. Anyone have thoughts on this unit, the good the bad the ugly?

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
You will probably want a larger screen than the Etrex. I use an etrex for work and it's just fine for what it is. But, if I was going to buy one I'd want a bigger screen.

Joe

·
Registered
94 Posts
I use a Garmin Deluxe V & I really can't say enough about the unit. Mounted in the Trooper, it displays as landscape but with just a change of the settings & taken out of the truck, its a handheld showing portrait. The best of both worlds. Its not in color but thats okay with me as I run a laptop in the truck anyway. They are very reasonably priced now also since the color ones are taking most of the market. :D

Robin...

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I saw the libby mod and was curious thinking I was missing out on a mod I didn't know anything about......

So that's the Libby mod, I bet my wife won't let me have one :shock:

Joe

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I depends on your personal preference.

For the GPS, I use a Garmin e-Trex . It isn’t anything fancy but it tells you where you are and will mark waypoints. I keep a Delorme atlas with GPS grids to traverse my location if I get lost. Those fancy mapping ones would be nice but they’re too expensive for my taste.

As far as the girl goes, she meets my preferences. I concur, my wife woudn't allow me to have one like that either.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I dont have a wife....does Indy 4x carry the Libby mod?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I have the eTrex Legend Cx (color screen) and it is a bit small of a screen. I have to keep taking out of the dash holder while on the trails to make sure I'm going the right way (which is why I still take wrong turns even with a gps), but then my eyesight isnt the greatest either. I really like mine though. I have the garmin topo software which came with mine. The only problem is the maps from the software dont always show the full trail here. But then we have lots of them so I can kinda understand that. At least I can put in waypoints and make educated guesses at which way to go.

Since I dont have a wife or a gf I could get the libby mod, though I probably couldnt afford it :?

·
Registered
601 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
I saw the libby mod and was curious thinking I was missing out on a mod I didn't know anything about......

Joe
**EYES POPPING OUT*** Oh my.....I think I've found religion!

Wow, that Libby....mmm, mmmm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an E-trex Legend and I think its a great value for the money. I use ine for hunting and geo-caching.
:)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
GenXr said:
bigpoppax2 said:

Joe
i don't have or want a gps,
but i also don't think these photos have appeared enough in this thread,
yet.

//bc

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have an eTrex Legend.... had it for a few years now.

I like it alot, I bought the extra Map Source software for the car.

I've used it when flying, and all types of trips, its been to Hawaii with me.

I used it on my recent trip to GA.

My biggest thing was... an accurate measure of speed, I like to see how far off the car speedo is.

But moving to a new area, gosh I needed to find a Wachovia bank, so I simply went into the find feature, went to services, then bank and bam!

Or find an address, I can find any adress in the maps that are loaded into my GPS it'll tell me where it is, how many miles and how long it'll take.

Only grip is no turn by turn directions, it does a stright line from your point to the spot, and you gotta figure it out on the moving map.

But if you create a route using the software on the computer then upload it to the GPS, it'll give turn by turn directions.

I need to geo-cache too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rover_rob said:
I am thinking that this might be the GPS for me for both on and off hwy use. Anyone have thoughts on this unit, the good the bad the ugly?
I bought Garmin SW for trail usage................. was planning on getting a Garmin GPS.

:x The SW sucked so bad that I decided to not buy the GPS. I was VERY disapointed in the Garmin SW and just don't see any point in going forward with their HW.

YMMV
JohnG

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a Lowrance Ifinder H20. It has a larger screen size and have a mount for the dashboard, external GPS antenna on my brushguard.
It takes a SD card for map storage. I have the complete USA mapping software and has entire midwest to westcoast loaded on one SD card.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the GPS and use it while geocaching and with the boy scouts, but I do not use it as a primary GPS in my Rodeo. I kept having a problem with loosing sync with the satelites.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a Lowrance Expedition (similar to the h2o) for fishing/snowmobiling , but it doesn't do turn by turn routing.

I also have a Mio Digiwalker c310x. It has a bright 3.5" color screen. It's very slim and can be used as a handheld. SIRF III receiver that locks quickly (yet to lose a signal). It plays MP3. It calculates and recalculates routes very quickly. Expandable memory. You can customize the layout/colors easily. It has a decent POI database which you can modify. You can create tracks and an export them to display on GoogleEarth. It's really cheap (I paid $199 and they have been as low as $150).

And the best thing, it's unlockable. It runs on Windows CE and if you unlock it and add many different types of software (address books, video player, games, etc.). Because it's unlockable, the possibilities are endless. If you want to wheel with it, you can upload USGS digital topo maps using a free software program called OziExplorer.

I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I love this thing. And really, for about $200, you cannot go wrong. The only bad thing for now is that it uses TeleAtlas (same as TomTom and older data compared to Navteq maps used in the Garmins). However, there is a new release coming out in April.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
RodeoRed said:
ummmmm you forgot one...

what is it about chicks and rigs?

Would this mod hurt my resale value?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.