Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, to start off with, my signature is still giving me a hard time because I'm in Chile and it doesn't seem to like my IP ADDRESS. However, I'm not a spammer and I'm just here to share what little I've learned about these incredible machines, learn what you know about them, and show what simple mods I've done/am doing/want to do to my Trooper.

First off, I guess I need to let you know that Troopers are popular in Chile for the OFF-Road crowd, however they are not very common. Trooper you find here are called Cheverolet Troopers. All of them, as far as I know, where imported by small companies or individuals. Therefore, they are far and few between to find and get parts for. To make things worse, gasoline is expensive here, so my Trooper has had a Diesel swap done on the it. Due to these two factors, I (I'm a US citizen) and a good friend of mine (he's Chilean), buy most of our parts from the U.S. or England. Really, the only helpful factor to owning a Trooper here (repair wise), is that Chile manufactured, and still sells currently the Chevrolet LUV and the D-Max which both have very similar chassis and suspention components. Also, the 2.8 TDI I have in my Trooper is the same as a LUV and the 90's 3/4 ton Isuzu box trucks. Making some things easier to get.

My Rig is a 1992 LWB 3.2l auto trans Cheverolet Trooper. I had planned to pick a Trooper and do the swap myself, but then I found my current Trooper with a 2.8 tdi isuzu motor already installed. Not only had they done the install, but they and done the tranny conversion as well. Since the Trooper was cheaper with the 2.8tdi installed than buying a Trooper and installing the motor myself, I went ahead and bought it.

Buying the Trooper I knew that it needed some work, and I have been and still am in the process of this needed work. As this is my DD and I work with photography, and as a mechanic, plus being such that we live in Chile's Northern portion of Patagonia, we have the need for a very versitle rig. So, here is the list for things done (includes some photos), things needing to be done, and things that I would like to do if money and time permit me to.

Photos of the Trooper the day I brought it home.

Upon buying the Trooper, I knew that a few things where in order. I knew that the Trooper needed the following.

-a working speedometer/tack
-manual hub conversion
-motor mount repair
-new rear springs
-new and bigger tires
-new rims or spacers
-Steering colum knuckle
-new exhaust

After a week of Driving it, I found that the Trooper also needed :x the following

-To reinstall motor better
-New Transmission mount
-fix the starter plug
-new hoses on the motor
-New and better air filter (didn't have the original)

Then there are the things I would like to do

-new bumpers so that my Hi-lift will work on the truck
-Roof Rack
-Modify the step rails
-build a custom air intake for K&N Filter
-fender Flairs
-Hi-lift and Spare Tire Carrier.

So, from here on out, you'll see what's been done.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like yesterday was the day for Changing Front sway bar bushings. I put some Energy Suspenstion greaseable bushing on my 92 trooper yesterday. As 800XL mentioned the brackets where to big. As I didn't have the time to cut them down, I just used the factory bracket, but will be installing the greaseable one later on.

I also found that from the back, my mud flaps were starting to flare outward for some reason. So, upon investigation, I found most of the bolts missing or rusted in 2. Therefore, I removed all the mudflaps as well. My front mud flaps already needed to be removed as they where rubbing my front tires.

While I did not do this yesterday (I did it on Thursday), I did install my 2" spacers as well. So now the Trooper is looking nice with it's 64" (? what I've read) wide stance.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that some of you had seen what I just posted here on my Thread over on the what did you do thread. So, here something you haven't seen yet.

While I'm not a major off roader. I mean, I don't just go out playing around (I can't afford it). I do use my Rigs regularly in very small and tight spaces. Infact, some of the places that we have to drive on here in Southern Chile are "roads" only by the fact that they have had enough vehicles going over them, that the locals now call them such. In fact there are "roads" that, with the spacers I just put on, are narrow enough that I think that both sides of my tires are going to rub at the same time. Still the spacers are needed for the tires I have (need) for the mud/muck these roads have and the weight of the Trooper.

Two things happened recently in a curve on one of these roads.
First off, when I put the Trooper in 4h (auto hubs still), the right passenger side axle is not catching in the hub. It keeps making this super loud clicking of course. I just got my "new" (used Aisin Manual Hubs) from a guy here in Chile, and I will be doing the conversion soon.

Second was, do to the length of the LWB Trooper that I have, my step bar hit the side of a rock with stuck out into the road that could not avoid. I had pulled straight as much as I could and I still hit it. It ran from the front of my step bar (where it put the largest dent) and ran all the way to the back. I was just hoping that the trooper would kick out befor the rock hit the back quarter. Which it did, and I got away with no body damage. This however, has made me rethink the step design, and I think I'm going to look at fabbing up some add-on's to the step bar to act as a type of light weight rockslider/stepbar/kickout combo. Here's the damage. It's not horrible, but good enough to get you thinking.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
At least you had the step up there to keep it from taking out the rocker panel. When you do the Aisin conversion I would be ready with a dremel or something because you might have to put a new groove in the axle end for the c-clip since the hub is clicking. Hopefully not but better to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bsnafu1221 said:
At least you had the step up there to keep it from taking out the rocker panel. When you do the Aisin conversion I would be ready with a dremel or something because you might have to put a new groove in the axle end for the c-clip since the hub is clicking. Hopefully not but better to be prepared.
Thanks for the advice about the Dremel, but I went ahead and just bought the cv end unit (my mind just went black as to the real name (cv knuckle???)).

And you are right about the step bar. My friend and I were looking at it, and it actually looks like the impact (from were the step bar is welded to the chassis) actually ripped a 1-1.5" tear in the chassis tubing. That's something I need to get fixed soon.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, being as it is that were I live is covered with volcanic sand, when I recently found out that one of my cv boots on my passenger side was not just torn but sheered in two, I figured it was time to repack my CV's. Then shortly after, I found that the CV/Hub is clicking in 4wd. So, I bought an aftermarket CV. (You can help name the seal/gasket I need for the CV's by view this post here Help me identify the seal I need. Thanks) However, I've been really incapacitated by my allergies this week and hope to be up and running this weekend. (photos as soon as possible)

While at it, I found that someone put tokico shocks on the front of my trooper, but they are 2in two short, making my drop short and harsh. So, I bought new tokico shocks as well.

I also found that one of the vacum lines was completely missing. :shock: So I had to "fix it". It's just temporary. I've now bought the line that I need. So, I will be slapping that hose on soon.

As you can see, I had to use what I could find for the moment. In fact the rubber hose that is attached to each valve is all that the motor had on it when I bought it. THe mechanic (who I bought the trooper from) said it was pointless to put the hose on it.

I fought him about and he let me look around his shop and I found what I could (the black w/ yellow stripe tube) to make the connection between the two. The trooper had more power and ran smoothe instantly.

Also, when I just bought the trooper, I was driving down the road, and the Trooper started to buck ferociously.. :shock: I knew that the motor was lacking fuel,and as it is a Diesle I thought that maybe the fuel filter was old and clogged. So I purged it a bit, but found no trash nor it hard to purge. I started the Troopler with no problem and turned around to get back to the house, and it bucked again, and then died. Not to be restarted. I looked at everything I could think of. The lines and all. As a last resort, I called the previous owner, a "mechanic", and he told me that this was a common problem with this Trooper. Just replug the fuel pump electrical plug back on and it would run again. Shure enough, it had come off and it did restart once I had replugged it back on. I asked why he hadn't just changed the plug when the latch had broken, and he said: "Why, it works when you plug it back on. You only have to worry about it when it comes off." Typical attitude of the mechanics here. That's why I do all my own work.

Heres, how I've fixed the problem for now. I will be buying a new plug. This fix took 10 min of fighting with the wire zip ties and bit of fussing. Not to hard though.

Next while I was in the nearest city to where we live (about an 1-1/2 hr from our house and 1-3/4 from my friends house), we had been taking care of chores that we had to do all day, and our last stop was grocery shopping. So, since it was raining, as it does 280-300 days a year here, I had pulled in to the parking deck. When we came back to the trooper, with meats and cheeses, and froozen stuff, I find a huge puddle under the motor. The floor was uneven and I saw a trail of the liquid from the car in front of us. So, I thought it had come from there car and puddled under mine. However, the Trooper cranked and then shuddered hard, then wouldn't crack again. :x It was dark and I was tired, and trying to get all my stuff together. So I looked at everything, and checked all the hoses, but I didn't have a flashlight. I couldn't find anything missing. Finally, I had to call my friend and help me. He came out, and after around 30 min of looking everywhere in the dark we found that the previous owner, once again, had rigged the fuel pump out line.

At some point the line had broke/ripped, and was too short. So, he decided to put a 1 in. piece on the fuel out nipple on the pump, and cram the orginal line inside the rubber hose connector. The orginal line was cramed inside against the fuel flow of the pump. On top of that, he had not put anything on the connected lines to keep them together. So, a it works, the fuel pump pressuring the fuel coming out pushing against the end of the original line crammed in the connector was shot out under pressure. The fuel line, being black, and in the dark, fell back behind the motor and was almost imposible to find. Plus, the fuel pump is tucked under a pressure regulator valve (can't remember what it's called in English). So, the only thing I could do is cram the line back in the connector hose, and hope I got home. Which I did, and then I put wire ties on the connector and hose and well as on the fuelpump stub/nipple.

Here is the fix, at least for now. I will probably just change out the whole line soon. (Look below the fuelpump breather valve, just behind the throttle cable.)

Buying used cars here has not ceased to be a nightmare of an adventure. It always keeps you on your toes, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I've had some good and not so good stuff happen in the past few days.

For the not so good stuff... I found that my crank shaft seal is leaking and now I need to replace it. Within 3-4 days, it's gotten much worse. So, there is just one more project to add to the list.

As for the good news, I got me a couple of much needed and relativly good tools.

New Floor Jack
A 2.5 ton floor jack so that I'm not fighting to place short stroke bottle jacks under the Trooper, and now I have a more stable platform for support. Ever since I came to Chile, I've had to work on stumps and so on. Not exactly what I was used to in the states.

Tube Bender
What I've really been wanting more than needing is a tube bender. I have to finish up an exhaust to sell the Daihatsu, and it's cheaper to buy the bender, and make it myself than pay the guys here. I started out looking at the JD2's and the like. However, I don't make enough with my building, nor do I fab enough to justify such expense. So, I started looking a the cheap Harbor freight tube benders and investigating online a bit. After figuring out the small mods needed for the to work with actual tube, not pipe (which is what they're really made for), I bought one. This bender I bought seems to be just a bit better than the benders I saw ing HB. It actually works really well, and makes great bends with slight mods.

I've got a few ideas in mind for the Trooper and the Daihatsu. I'm also making some racks and probably a few trailers, and bumpers for the farmers pickups in the area. They all want a 3" tube bumper to replace the factory one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today started the final decision on Fender flare sizing, and I got the first two on. Hopefully the weather will permit the rear two to be done as well. I also got the Moog sway bar links in place. Those things are beefy!

If I can get the two rear Fender Flares done tomorrow, I'll start on my hubs and CV joint repair/clean/maintainence.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Hopefully the mechanic was embarrassed about not connecting the vac line.. Your taking this in a nice direction, might consider doing a 2x3 side rail nerf bar or if you want a step 2x4 ... I'd hate to think what would have happened if you didn't have those steps on there ... Great job so far !!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bradzuzu said:
Hopefully the mechanic was embarrassed about not connecting the vac line.. Your taking this in a nice direction, might consider doing a 2x3 side rail nerf bar or if you want a step 2x4 ... I'd hate to think what would have happened if you didn't have those steps on there ... Great job so far !!
Thanks Bradzuzu!
In connection with using the 2x3 or 2x4,I don't think it's a bad idea, but what bennefits would I get out of the square rather than it being round tube?

Thanks for any input you have.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You get a little more splash guard and foot room for one.. If you want to build off of it for anything it's slightly easier too.. Just make sure to put angle iron on the frame areas to give extra surface area, 2x2 works good for the frame to slider conection.. I went with 1/4" because I wanted it strong and durable..

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bradzuzu said:
You get a little more splash guard and foot room for one.. If you want to build off of it for anything it's slightly easier too.. Just make sure to put angle iron on the frame areas to give extra surface area, 2x2 works good for the frame to slider conection.. I went with 1/4" because I wanted it strong and durable..
Originally I was thinking round tube, but the square may not be a bad idea. I'd only do 1/8" wall for my uses though. I mean, that side step is only 1.5mm wall, and look at the beating it took. Even though, round is typically stronger than square too. Good advice though.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I think a good set of rock sliders are in order, ask Brad to draw up a plan for you and see if you can get them fabbed up there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hessmess said:
I think a good set of rock sliders are in order, ask Brad to draw up a plan for you and see if you can get them fabbed up there.
I think you're right. I did chat with Brad a bit and he gave the idea of using 2x4 or 2x3 rec tube for the sliders. Since I do fab work as well. I have already designed what I'm going to fab up. I just need the time and of course the $ to do it. At the moment, some other projects are more pressing. I need to get my hood scoop fabbed up. Debating fiberglass or metal. I also need to get my crankshaft seal replaced, get a motor mount in, since my motor is currently sitting directly on the chassis on one side. (Not a reflection of my fab skills, I didn't install the motor.) Plus, I have a high flow muffler to put in at some point. Also, do to various projects running at one time, I need to fab me up a Safari rack in the next couple of weeks. So, unfortunately, I think the sliders will have to wait just a bit longer.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Made a bit more progress on the Trooper yesterday, got me some time, and I changed out the vacuum hose I had been running spliced together, and I got my Manual hubs installed, almost completely :roll: . I could have sworn I had gone thru everything the guy and sent me and check the pieces. My friend thought he had too. However, it seems that the guy may have rounded the heads on two Allen bolts, and therefore sent me four on just one side. :x I'll be picking up the others today.

Does anyone know if there is a right up on here about the manual hub conversion? It's pretty straight forward I know, but there are few things that newbies would probably need/want to know getting started. I was thinking about doing it, if noone else has taken the time.

1 - 20 of 327 Posts