Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
98-99 3.2L and 3.5L engines use a mechanical throttle control system, starting in 00 an electronic throttle control system was added ("drive by wire"), to accommodate this mod the intake manifold, throttle body and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) were changed. Also starting in 00 an Ion Sensing Ignition System replaced the existing system, this required replacing the Ignition Coils, adding a new ignition module and removing the Camshaft Position Sensor.

The Trooper 3.5L is essentially a stroked Rodeo 3.2L, sitting side by they look identical, the difference is pistons with a shorter compression height and a 70mm longer stoke crank. The Trooper 3.5L engines typically burn more oil because the 3.5L pistons do not have enough oil return holes. If you want a replacement for your 98 3.2L a Trooper 3.5 probably is not a good choice. A 03 Axiom 3.5L engine supposedly has pistons with more holes, solving the oil burning problem.

A 00-04 Rodeo 3.2L can be retrofitted back to the 98-99 configuration by swapping the Intake/Throttle Body, Ignition Coils, engine wiring harness etc. Rodeo/Amigo/Passport/Rodeo Sport 3.2L all use the same V6 3.2L

There is also a 04 Rodeo and 04 Axiom 3.5L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) available, this engine cannot retrofitted to operate in your truck.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Thank you Buster28. I will loo for the engines you recommend. Can you tell me if any of the Rodeo years had the piston hole problem fixed for oil drain back? I want to make sure I stay away from the problem ones. I am also going to first try the de-carboning as suggested by another member.
The Trooper 3.5L have the oil burning problem, I owned two Rodeo Sport 01 3.2L and a Rodeo Sport 02 3.2L and none burned oil. One had 141,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Thank you again Buster28. Do you know if the '01 and '02 3.2l you had, had the Isuzu "fix" of more oil drain back holes in the pistons? I would like to find a engine that has that fix to it if Ed's suggestions don't work.
Thanks again,
Bill
My Rodeo 3.2L pistons were not modified and I am reasonably sure the 03-04 3.2L are fitted with same design pistons. There are not a lot of complaints in the forum by Rodeo owners about excessive oil burning.

There are 3.5L pistons manufactured with more oil ring groove drain holes, it is my understanding none of these modified pistons were installed in assembly line 98-02 Trooper engines and that only factory replacement engines and 03 Axiom 3.5L were fitted with the new pistons. A few Trooper owners reported in the forum they pulled the pistons and drilled 4 more holes in the oil ring groove to solve the oil burning problem.

A 98-03 3.5L piston is not interchangeable with a 98-04 3.2L piston, same diameter but different compression height.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts