Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to Isuzu. I was recently away on holiday, and letting my roommate borrow my Rodeo. Two weeks in, I receive a call that the engine has seized up and its at the local shop. In many cases this would not be a huge deal. However, I live on a small island and resources are SCARCE. I'm trying to find an engine compatible with my Rodeo that I can drop into it. Currently, I have access to a 1995 Rodeo with an automatic tranmission (my Rodeo is manual). I would really appreciate any advice you all could send my way as for what to look for and where to start on this operation. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Aestep3503 said:
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and new to Isuzu. I was recently away on holiday, and letting my roommate borrow my Rodeo. Two weeks in, I receive a call that the engine has seized up and its at the local shop. In many cases this would not be a huge deal. However, I live on a small island and resources are SCARCE. I'm trying to find an engine compatible with my Rodeo that I can drop into it. Currently, I have access to a 1995 Rodeo with an automatic tranmission (my Rodeo is manual). I would really appreciate any advice you all could send my way as for what to look for and where to start on this operation. Cheers!
IF YOUR RODEO IS A 96 OR LATER AND HAS THE OBD 2 FUEL AND IGN SYSTEM YOU CANNOT USE THAT 95 ENG , IF BOTH ENGS HAVE THE TOP ENG MOUNTED IGN COILS AND NOT THE VL CVR MOUNTED COILS THEY WOULD BE INTER CHANGABLE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the response. The coils are totally different. You just saved me a lot of time and money. Much obliged. I'm going to try and get one shipped in from the states from a salvage yard or the like. Do you have any specs or descriptions (year range, coil arrangement, any ID numbers?) I can give to someone over the phone which will allow them to pick out a compatible engine? Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Aestep3503 said:
Thanks so much for the response. The coils are totally different. You just saved me a lot of time and money. Much obliged. I'm going to try and get one shipped in from the states from a salvage yard or the like. Do you have any specs or descriptions (year range, coil arrangement, any ID numbers?) I can give to someone over the phone which will allow them to pick out a compatible engine? Thanks again!
IF YOUR TRUCK IS A 96-97 ANY RODEO OR TROOPER FOR THOSE TWO YEARS WILL WORK, SINCE THEY HAVE THE COIL ON PLUG SYSTEM, AT LEAST FOR THE USE VERSION,S THOSE ENGS WERE IDENTICAL. THOSE TWO YEARS ,

92 -95 TROOPER AND 93-95 RODEO THE ENGS ARE IDENTICAL. AND HAVE THE COILS MOUNTED 3 SIDE BY SIDE UP FRONT OF THE ENG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. I imagine it could be a while before I get an engine down here, but I'll keep the progress posted. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok, i just want to clarify all this please. I too need to replace the engine in my 96 rodeo. So assuming that i have read and understood all that was posted above, i should be able to use an engine from a 96-97 rodeo, trooper, and passport. as long as the coil placement is the same, and as well as the CID?

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
danfau07 said:
ok, i just want to clarify all this please. I too need to replace the engine in my 96 rodeo. So assuming that i have read and understood all that was posted above, i should be able to use an engine from a 96-97 rodeo, trooper, and passport. as long as the coil placement is the same, and as well as the CID?
WELL IF THEY ARE THE CORRECT YEAR ENG ,THEY WILL BE IN THE CORRECT SPOT, SINCE THEY ONLY USED THIS PARTICULAR SYSTEM IN 96-97 ON THE SOHC ENG, THEY WERE ALL COIL ON PLUG. 96-97 TROOPER ,RODEO AND PASS PORT AND TH E HONDA SLX ALL USED THE EXACT SAME ENG , THEY WILL BE DIRECTLY INTER CHANGE ABLE WITH EACH OTHER , THE ONLY EXCEPTION MAY BE BETWEEN THE TROOPER AND THE RODE , AND THAT WOULD ONLY BE THE MAIN ENG HARNESS, IF THE 3 LARGE ENG HARNESS CONNECTORS , BLACK, GREEN, AND BLUE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE THEN IT WOULD NOT EVEN NEED TO BE CHANGED ,

·
Registered
34 Posts
sweet thanks dude!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
danfau07 said:
YES ALL THREE ENGS ARE IDENTCLE, ONLY EXCEPTION, MAY BE THE ACTUAL ENG WIRING HARNESS IT SELF, IF ALL THREE CONNECTTORS EXIT AT THE SAME SPOT ON THE ENG THEN THE HARNESS DOSENT HAVE TO BE CHANGED . , FRT ACCESSORIES ARE DIFF, HOW EVER

1 - 9 of 9 Posts