Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other engines, Ford, GM, Nissan, whatever, that can fairly easily be installed in my 2000 Trooper. 90,000 miles. Kind of hate to spend $3k to $6k on another 3.5L if it's going to do the same thing.

I still owe $4k, so I don't want to just dump it. If the new engine will last, I don't mind spending the money (well I do, but it's better than throwing the thing away)

I don't have the expertise, time or tools to tackle it myself, so it would have to be something affordable at a good shop.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Don't know if this is any help to you or not, but buying a brand-new, complete long block from St. Charles will run you ~$4700 shipped, including the new style PCV valve and hose that you'd need. This is the updated version of the 3.5l engine, with the revised-design oil ring lands in the pistons. Shouldn't cost you more than $1k to have it installed, and then you'd have a complete, brand-new engine top to bottom. Ask for Merlin at 1-800-727-8066, and the part number is 8-97360-360-0. He'll get you squared away.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Are you the original owner? If so the 10yr/120Kmi powertrain warranty will cover 100% of the engine r/r.

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the 2nd owner since 22k miles. It started using alot of oil, qt every 750 or so. The the check engine light would come on. I took it to the dealer, and they said I had warped cylinders or heads. Said it would be 4 or 5k for a rebuild or new engine, used maybe less. The service manager came outside as I was leaving and said I should trade it in, that it wasn't worth the cost & hassle.

I took it to my mechanic for a 2nd opinion, and he said the compression is good, so he didn't know how the dealer could think the cylinders or head were warped without tearing it apart.

So I did some research and found out about the infamous oil problems. I tried the seafoam. Then I had problems with the check engine light on and loss of power momentarily. So I pretty much put it aside for a year, then got back into it, and read about synthetic oil, so now I'm trying that. It seems to run okay, but I haven't gone over 15 miles at a time, so who knows.

That being said, I want to know my options. Thanks for everyones help, and keep the info coming.

·
Registered
564 Posts
So when you initially took it to the dealer to ask about the oil consumption, was it before or after 60k miles?

Also, have you looked into auto-rx? Some people here swear by it. I believe the auto-rx people recommend that you use regular (dino) oil during their cleaning procedure, though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Here is my take on it.

I would for sure do the cylinder soak.

But why a new engine?

Let's say you spend 4000 to have a new engine installed.

Or you stock up on oil that cost 2 bucks a quart and add some every week. That is 2000 quarts of oil you could buy for that same 4000 dollars. My point is that it is a heck of a lot cheaper to just keep on dumping in more oil then it would be to have a new eninge put in.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Have you looked into getting your existing motor rebuilt.

The oil burning is all related to the pistons/rings. Why replace
everything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.