Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've got a '98 Rodeo 3.2L. Over the winter I (read: my friend) spun a bearing in my engine and officially killed it (had over 180k on it). Last weekend I picked up a new one from a local junkyard for $700 (w/warranty) and I just started the swap.

I was hoping any of you that have done swaps on the 2nd gen Rodeo could share any useful tips and tricks for getting the job done more easily.

I'm currently at the stage where it's time to unbolt the tranny (manual) and y-pipe from the exhaust headers. I took a look under there and I'm a little intimidated. The header bolts look real rusty, and most of the bell housing bolts look to be unreachable.

Once I manage to get the exhaust off, will the rest of the bell housing bolts be more accessible? Will I be able to move the engine forward enough to get it off the trans?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Justin

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've swapped a few engines in my day and could try and write a step by step for you, but it has been done on this forum a number of times. There are a few very good write ups better then I could do. Which is to say search your engine and swap using the search function above.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I always leave the exhaust manifolds attached to the pipes. Take the intake manifold off for better access to the top bellhousing bolts. You will need to separate the torque convertor and leave it in the truck. I usually remove the starter and get the bolts thru there with an impact after removing the drivers side motor mount completely.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
We just did this last weekend

After removing exhaust and rear crossmember,lower tc down until engine barely touches firewall.

Use long extensions and take out the bell housing bolts(keep up with where they go,different lengths and they could crack block if too long a bolt is used)

Leave intake on,and use the two factory loops with a chain to remove engine.

Remove radiator and fan blade etc for clearance.

See easy :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
this Vid shows an alternate way to pull engine.
:lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.