Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have always appreciated the grunt of my troop with the 3.5, and how it never seems to be affected by any amount of cargo...But I have been doing a bunch of highway driving recently, and good God is this thing abismal at passing on the highway! Even downshifting doesn't really help- just kinda makes it louder. So far I have a Calmini intake on it, but what can I do to get more power outta this truck?
Links and specifics would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
streetersam said:
So I have always appreciated the grunt of my troop with the 3.5, and how it never seems to be affected by any amount of cargo...But I have been doing a bunch of highway driving recently, and good God is this thing abismal at passing on the highway! Even downshifting doesn't really help- just kinda makes it louder. So far I have a Calmini intake on it, but what can I do to get more power outta this truck?
Links and specifics would be greatly appreciated!
1st step. Remove all that cargo.

:wink:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh lol i meant that as a once in a while thing, like when I have 6 people in the car :)
I don't carry tooo much stuff, just the essentials and a lil more...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't know what performance you have or are looking for. I have effectively the same truck (1999 5 Speed - 265/75 tires and ~ 2"lift) and though it isn't competitive in Top Fuel class it does run out to 90 or so fairly well.

The intake isn't going to help. The stock box isn't restrictive and now you get hot air instead of cold.

Short of the Alpine Supercharger there are not "performance" parts available but to me it sounds like your truck isn't even running up to stock specifications.

Have you done the normal maintenance like cleaning the EGR, fresh plugs and so on? Would also wonder about possibly some exhaust restriction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts