Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All,

I have a big issue that I need some help diagnosing.

I noticed that driving my Trooper the last two days, that the temperature gauge was starting to creep into the danger zone.

I could not use my heater to lower the temperature, as it never worked since I have owned it.

It gets worse when at a traffic light, but cools down when I start driving again.

I made it to my house, and I heard alot of hissing noise coming from the engine, like a coolant escaping a hose, but I could not chase it down.

Out of all of the baseline maintenance, I did not address the coolant hose(s), radiator, water pump, or thermostat.

Any help will be wonderful.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If it cools down while driving then my bet is the fan is not locking up.

But first make sure your full on coolant. You will not damage the 2.8L if it was full of coolant but if it ran dry then a cracked head is not out of the question.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks.

Would the head still crack, if I did not reach to H on the temp gauge? I'll check the radiator for the coolant level.

What would cause the hissing noise, and I did smell coolant.

Mark

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Trooper1991 said:
What would cause the hissing noise, and I did smell coolant.

Mark
bad cap maybe?... it has happened to me.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked my radiator, and whatever coolant was in my radiator, must have bled out (hissing noise), and it was bone dry. I hope I did not crack the head gasket.

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ian,

Thanks, I can afford a radiator cap, replacing an engine on a daily driver with no money, not so much. I didn't have any coolant handy so I filled my radiator with water until I can get some coolant tomorrow.

Mark

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I would not rule out a cracked head if you start to have a disappearing coolant problem. Just keep an eye on the level and the amount of white smoke at startup. The engine will run fine so just note its condition now and make sure it does not get worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good Morning All,

I cranked up the Trooper and no white smoke! I am waiting for Pep Boys to open so I can get coolant and get pricing on some odds and ends.

The temperature needle was at the proper end of the gauge. I will keep watching everything.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

Thanks again for the help and assistance. It looks like my hoses are bad. I will be replacing them shortly. They are very soft. Looks like I may as well as replace the radiator while I am at it.

What is the longevity on the Water Pump on the 1st Generation Troopers?

Is the bottom radiator hose easy to replace?

Mark

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If the pump does not leak then leave it.

don't forget the small hoses behind the engine that go to the heater core.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It sounds like the fan clutch is bad. If the clutch is bad it will not pull enough air through the radiator at low speeds to cool it. You may have other issues, but I would start with the fan clutch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

I think I have narrowed down the culprit of my issue.

I either have a leak in my radiator, and/or both hoses are bad. I'll replace the top hose, which is easy to do, but how difficult is it to replace the bottom hose?

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.