Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
01 rodeo sport, not enough mods yet😜
188 Posts
The only thing I’ve really seen talked about is turbo or supercharger, but those aren’t cheap. Custom headers/exhaust will probably get you something as well, but also are expensive. Not many performance upgrades for Isuzu engines (and just about nothing will be “bolt on”)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Isuzu tuned out the 3.2L & 3.5L V6 engines to almost maximum capabilities from the factory. You could easily spend a few grand on heavy machining work plus a couple more grand on a stand alone ECM. However the results will be minimal at best.

The solution that will yelled satisfactory results is to supercharge or turbo the engine.

You could also just drop a V8 into the vehicle as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isuzu tuned out the 3.2L & 3.5L V6 engines to almost maximum capabilities from the factory. You could easily spend a few grand on heavy machining work plus a couple more grand on a stand alone ECM. However the results will be minimal at best.

The solution that will yelled satisfactory results is to supercharge or turbo the engine.

You could also just drop a V8 into the vehicle as well.
Would i need a bigger transmission if I go with a 4.8 or 5.3 or what motor would you recommend

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Would i need a bigger transmission if I go with a 4.8 or 5.3 or what motor would you recommend

FWD NorthStar V8 will bolt directly up to the Isuzu manual. NorthStar all around is by far my first choice. Add a Fi-tech injection ECM system and your golden.

You could use the Isuzu manual transmission with the 5.7L V8. However it's cheaper and easier to switch the transmission at the sometime. A Eaton 4 speed manual w/ OD added would be my first choice for that combination.

·
Registered
83 Posts
FWD NorthStar V8 will bolt directly up to the Isuzu manual. NorthStar all around is by far my first choice. Add a Fi-tech injection ECM system and your golden.

You could use the Isuzu manual transmission with the 5.7L V8. However it's cheaper and easier to switch the transmission at the sometime. A Eaton 4 speed manual w/ OD added would be my first choice for that combination.
Will the northstar fit with factory 4wd and have accessories work?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Man I have been debating a Fabing my own turbo set up for the 3.2 Isuzu, or finding a V-8. I know the Lexus V8 fits but they seem kind of pricey, would the Northstar fit with all of its accessory‘s and then run a modified GM computer? This sounds like something I would be very interested in. Are there any pictures or threads on this swap. I could start gathering parts.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Man I have been debating a Fabing my own turbo set up for the 3.2 Isuzu, or finding a V-8. I know the Lexus V8 fits but they seem kind of pricey, would the Northstar fit with all of its accessory‘s and then run a modified GM computer?
The Northstar V8 ECM requires serial bus communication via J1939 data link form steering column, transmission, instrument cluster, BCM for proper operation. The way around this is to operate the engine with a standalone ECM such as Fi-Tech. There are 2 families for NorthStar engines, RWD and FWD. a Trooper will require a FWD. There is a Trooper driving around in Europe with a NorthStar engine. I have not explored repowering a trooper with this engine a whole lot at this time. Only enough to know its not a difficult repower. Like any repower vehicles, fabrication work will be needed. I have far far more experience with the Northstar engine from modifying them before dropping it into classic hot rods. They are a hi-tech engine with a small footprint. They have plenty of power & easy to work on

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Grille

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Northstar V8 ECM requires serial bus communication via J1939 data link form steering column, transmission, instrument cluster, BCM for proper operation. The way around this is to operate the engine with a standalone ECM such as Fi-Tech. There are 2 families for NorthStar engines, RWD and FWD. a Trooper will require a FWD. There is a Trooper driving around in Europe with a NorthStar engine. I have not explored repowering a trooper with this engine a whole lot at this time. Only enough to know its not a difficult repower. Like any repower vehicles, fabrication work will be needed. I have far far more experience with the Northstar engine from modifying them before dropping it into classic hot rods. They are a hi-tech engine with a small footprint. They have plenty of power & easy to work on

View attachment 126672
No oil pan modification? Does it bolt up to the 5 speed?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
No oil pan modification? Does it bolt up to the 5 speed?
Bolts to the 5speed for the 2.8L V6. The FWD NorthStar engine has a very very thin oil pan. It might fit with no modifications. Worse case scenario is to reshape the pan or drop the front differential.

The only obstacle that might be a concern is the water pump. The water pump on the Northstar engine is located on the coolant crossover pipe at the rear of the engine. There is a small dedicated belt to drive it of the back of the camshaft. In a FWD car this pump would be located on the radiator side above the transmission.

In a RWD car this places the water pump facing the firewall of the cab.
With the pick up truck in the photo, I had to notch the firewall & the floor of the cab for clearance. The down side is when it's time to replace the water pump removal of the transmission or the engine is required. Due to the larger engine compartment & shorter firewall of a Trooper, i don't think a trooper will require the same treatment as this 51 pick-up truck. However it's a possibility that I haven't had a chance to rule out yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Man that sounds fun. I may still just fab a remote mount turbo with 9psi and use a piggy back fuel controller with a 7th injector. I just need a scavenging oil pump and oil cooler. I even debated water injection as I can’t retard ignition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts