Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Rodeo. The check engine light came on and when test I got the code for a misfire in cylinder 4. When I removed the coil pack I found that the spark plug tube that the coil pack slides into was about half full of engine coolant. That explaines the misfire, anyone have any idea where the coolant might be coming from?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Check your oil to make sure it doesn't look like a chocolate milkshake. The only way I can see coolant getting into the spark plug hole is if you have a bad head gasket and a bad valve cover gasket.

Usually we are answering why is there oil in my spark plug tube. This is due to the o-ring type gasket that seals between the head and the valve cover. So usually when this gasket goes bad you get oil in your plug hole.

Coolant, I'd do some poking around, check to see if you have oil in your coolant as well.

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 3.5 motor, but the 3.2 has all sorts of "plumbing" atop that can leak as times goes on. You might want to consider coolant leaks from up above as well.

The head gasket is beneath the plugs; not sure how that sort of leak would find it's way to a plug well. Leaking valve cover gaskets leak oil; not coolant.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Well he said he has a 98 rodeo, so he does have the 3.2. I'll lift teh hood on my wifes 98 and look at the hose routing to see what if anything could cause coolant to collect in the #4 plug hole.

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts
Joe:

In the case of the 3.2, the plumbing I'm speaking of is buried beneath the plenum and int. manifold. You'll have a hard time eye-balling any of that without seeing an engine schematic or doing some semi-serious upper motor removal.

A cooling system pressure test "might" help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem (i notice the post is old, don't know why i never found it last time). FYI, this is believed to be a cracked head. I tried all sorts, and in the end a bottle of 'sealant' from BigW fixed the issue. Primarily it was shorting against inside of the tube when it was full of coolant, this problem has now gone but i'm sure the head is still cracked. it comes in a clear bottle, 300ml or so and is a metallic bronze colour - highly recommended (put it in your radiator)

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
shayne said:
I had this problem (i notice the post is old, don't know why i never found it last time). FYI, this is believed to be a cracked head. I tried all sorts, and in the end a bottle of 'sealant' from BigW fixed the issue. Primarily it was shorting against inside of the tube when it was full of coolant, this problem has now gone but i'm sure the head is still cracked. it comes in a clear bottle, 300ml or so and is a metallic bronze colour - highly recommended (put it in your radiator)
YEP

SHAYNE FOUND HIS PROB, I AM AFRAID YOU HAVE A CRACKED HEAD UNDER THE CAM SHAFT THEY WILL CRACK AND LEAD TO THE PLUG TUBE , NOT REALLY HARD TO SEE ONCE THE CAMS ARE OUT OF THE HEAD , JERRY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.