Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3.2 in my 97 passport is making a strange chirping sound. I am a fairly competent mechanic and i have never heard this before. It's a faint chirping sound while at idle. it sounds as if it's coming from the intake plenum area. It's definately not a drive or accessory belt slipping. it is a steady chirp like a belt would make but it's coming from the engine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
RedPassport said:
. . .a faint chirping sound while at idle. it sounds as if it's coming from the intake plenum area. It's definitely not a drive or accessory belt slipping. it is a steady chirp like a belt would make but it's coming from the engine. Any ideas?
sounds like (haha) it could be a bearing to me.

engine sounds have a way of masking where they are coming from under the hood,
so,
if you're convinced it is not a belt or a bearing from the alternator or power steering pump or air conditioning compressor, or an idler pulley if you have one

it could be the first dieing throes of the water pump (?)

use an automotive stethoscope, or a length of vacuum or fuel hose in your ear, and place the other end at different spots around the engine bay. watch that fan...

Hopefully, you'll be able to narrow your search area.

HTH
let us know

good luck :arrow:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.