Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Isuzu rodeo ls 4x4 2001 and the radio works fine until you start the engine when then there is huge static noise making it unlistenable. I know on the earlier models there is a Radio Frequency Interference Condenser but cannot seem to find any info on the 2001 models.
I love my rodeo but would love it even more with some good tunes.....please help !

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Start with the main ones in the engine bay. Then aso make sure the radio ground is good.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
When you start the engine the DC power to operate the radio comes from the alternator. If there is AC hash being placed on the DC bus due to a defective alternator it can affect radio performance. To determine if the alternator is the source of the noise, remove the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the noise remains it is ignition related, if it goes away the alternator probably has one or more defective rectifier diodes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I check this out, both the ground and the alternator. I also had a look on the worldwide web again, and found that replacing the spark plug cables could also help with the interference ???? I haven't a clue...only the fact that the radio is great with the ignition on but crappy with the engine running ?? thanks for the suggestions I will get back to you once tried...thanks again

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
A 2001 Rodeo does not use spark plug wires, there are six coils, one for each plug. They connect to the plug with a special spring loaded plug boot.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I had this issue on my 92 trooper after removing & reinstalling my dash (& all its components). Your stereo possibly has two grounds, one for DirectCurrent power (in the wiring harness) & a second to a specific screw someplace on the outside (this is for RadioFequency sheilding, keeping electrical noise out of the receive of your stereo). I didn't put the RF ground back on the same screw thinking it was the DC ground, fired it up & got HORRIBLE engine noise! Pulled radio back out & put the RF ground back on its designated screw, engine noise was gone!

There was a green screw on the side of my stereo (under the mounting bracket) for RF ground, yours may be in a diff spot, esp if it's an aftermarket stereo. Look up your model online & find the users manual, it should show the location of the external ground screw.

~psguardian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts