Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got my engine fully inspected, and there's some things that need to be done to it. I'd like to do the work myself, to save on labor and for experience, but I don't know what I'm doing. I was wondering if there's any how-to guides, in full-on book format, on rebuilding Isuzu motors. I have a '97 Rodeo S with the 3.2L V6. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
What did they say you could do to save money? Some things you just need hand tools and hard work. Other stuff you need precision measuring tools.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you're near SC, check out Neil Parts Rebuilders.
It's my uncle's company.
They specialize in rebuilding Water Pumps, Clutch Assemblies, re-lining brake shoes and repairing head's and blocks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really what I'm looking for is a book with the know-how that can be transferable to me :) My friend is restoring a cutlass and got a book with a complete guide to pulling and rebuilding the motor. I'm looking for something like that. I live in Florida or I would stop into your uncle's shop

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Get all measurements and machine work done at a machine shop, only do the assembly your self. All you can do is read, read, read, watch videos on you tube, and read more. Read general engine assembly books and articles first, theres a lot of these on older GM motors which is super helpful and it will help you get a good foundation on the subject, then start to get more specific with the isuzu engine. Find the workshop manual and go through the pages everytime you're over the can. But in the end, nothing will replace experience. You will most likely screw up somewhere. I know I made a few mistakes, but my machine shop was so awesome and helpful that they helped me out and got me going.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The first time around have the machine shop assemble the rotating assembly. You need special tools just to do the job which most people don't have. A tiny mistake on clearance here can ruin an entire engine. That leaves bolting on the heads indexing the cams and setting up the timing chain. All jobs you can do with just a couple torque wrenches, lots of brake cleaner and paper towels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I wasn't going to be doing the machine work myself, just assembly. I don't have the tools nor the experience for all that :cry: I got the engine inspected, and they told me the things I'd need to do. It's all fairly simple assembly items, but I would still need a walk through. I guess youtube would be a great resource. I'm going to go check that now. Thanks a lot guys. I'll definitely start with building gm motors considering I can get great experience that way :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.