Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice videos. Curious what brand of CV axle you're gonna replace that one with, I have heard NAPA Gold are as good as OEM

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Purchased a 20' stick of 1 5/8" x 1/8" wall tube, and a 10' 3/8" thick angle; both aluminum. This will be for the roof rack build.

Pictured is $100 worth of material at $2.00/lb. Once I start cutting stuff up, it should be a bit lighter than that, but I'm not sure how much.

I wanted to get 1" x 1/16" wall square tube for a sleeping platform/drawer system, but that wasn't in stock at my scrap yard. I have enough steel square tube laying around to make the sleeping platform out of steel for free, but I'm very concerned about weight. Anyway, stay tuned for those builds. Not sure when I'll have time in the near future, but you'll definitely hear about it here when I get into it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bought super bright LED back up lights for the Trooper. They aren't so bright to compare to mounting a light bar in the back, but they are certainly brighter than factory. I don't have tinted windows, but I'd say that if I had dark tinted windows this would be more helpful in the city for parking, but it's not going to light up a dark trail the way headlights would. For $16 and next day delivery, worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GTL2Z2J?ps ... asin_title

LED on left and factory on right.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for watching, appreciate it.

Last week I switched from OME 2919 springs in the rear to Moog 6187.

Coil spring rates:
OME 2019: Progressive 200/280lbs/in
OME 2929: Progressive 240/300lbs/in
BDS 034211--17.25"--240 lbs/in--lift 3.5"

Before

After

Long story short, I rear Nasty610 spring thread here: https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75761
I originally ordered the Moog because they were cheaper (like $80 on Amazon), but then I decided that they would be too tall. I'm trying not to be so tall that I'm unnecessarily tippy. Before I even installed the BDS, I went to Indy4x and looked at the OME springs. They say right on the site to use the OME 2929's for '98+ Troopers, but because the 2919's were 10mm taller, I ordered those. That was a mistake because they were too soft and I would hit bump stops on the speed bumps on my street unloaded. Add in a ton of weight for hunting or camping, and I was bottoming out all the time. In fact, since I never adjusted my bump stops, I blew out my first set of shocks in under 4,000 miles. Installed the BDS and measured at the tow hitch, I gained another 2.25" in the back. Not exactly what I wanted, but I recently went on a family camping trip which required me to load up the Trooper and have the whole family, and it didn't bottom out once. I'd like to try the OME 2929's, but I don't want to spend that kind of money just to try them out. If anyone wants the 2919's, I'd be willing to sell them. They only have 6,725 miles on them. Only problem is I don't ship a lot of stuff and the lowest price I could find to ship them was something like $47. If I can figure out a better way, I'll put up a for sale ad. In the rare case that someone wanted to trade me 2929's straight across for my 2919's, I'd be down for that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Enemigo said:
Hey Cody, I just now saw your post. I didn't have to do anything to either pair of rear shocks. They both slid right into place without any issues.
Hey what year is your trooper? Can you post a pic of where the anti-lock brake stuff connects back in the rear axle area? I'm trying to get that G80 off a 1994

Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I ran my Amigo with no sway bars for years and never had an issue. You can't do that with a normal lift on a Trooper. The 3-link in the rear flexes so much that the springs will easily pop out. I went behind a grocery store in a dirt field with some rutted up hills today, just a quick up one side and down the other, and my passenger side spring fell out on me again. I drove home on the bump stop on the passenger rear and fixed it in my driveway. Same side as in Moab.

I have another sway bar, but I broke a stud on the frame connection the other day taking the old one off and haven't taken the time to get the broken stud out yet. So that will be a new priority for me, also maybe limit straps.

This time it bent my brake line bracket. Then when I jacked the truck up enough to stuff the spring back into place, the brake line was VERY tight, as you can see in the photos. So it's also probably time for either an extended bracket, or just pony up for extended lines and upgrade them to braided steel lines. It's probably time for that anyway.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Went on our hunting trip this year, and second season is not two weeks later than usual, so we had much more snow than we were expecting.

Camp:

I drove into this spot, then had to be winched out. That was the first time.

The second time I had to be winched, the cable came off the hook and grabbed the bumper instead.

There was a lot of snow, and after snowing for an entire day, all the snow in the dark timber was up to crotch deep. Very difficult to traverse through. We saw a bull, a coyote, and I shot a grouse on our first day, then nothing after that. At least it was pretty.

This one looks like we're hunting a ski slope.

The last day we moved down about 2,000 feet and to the other side of the mountain to get a relief from snow and take a crack at maybe a deer or bear instead.

After being so isolated back in the snow, we were camped in the furthest by miles, it was nice to be close enough to see civilization.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh yeah, almost forgot the whole point of my posting.

Skid plate took a hell of a whack on something at some point! Landed on the rock sliders a bunch as well and they held up as expected. Guess it's time to start working on the front bumper and winch. I also have plans to build my own tire chains now since they really start getting expensive once you get up to 33's and taller.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts