Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi everyone,

I searched the archives and didn't see this mod anywhere, so I thought I would post it up.

My new Trooper came with Isuzu's "Deluxe" audio system consisting of a Nakamichi TD-35Z head unit and a (non-functioning) 6-disk CD changer. The Nakamichi has a "source" button at the upper left that allows the selection of the radio, the CD Changer, and "Aux". There was no "Aux" source, when it's selected, nothing happens, you just have to push again to go back to radio as the source. Bummer. Its 2017, my music is on my phone, I really don't use CDs anymore, and It would be really nice to have an aux audio input on this otherwise very nice head unit.

I found the manual for this online (sorry no link) and discovered that the next higher model, the TD-45Z, had an aux audio cable as well as the CD input. On a hunch, I pulled the stereo and removed the top cover. Yes! the 35z and 45z main boards are the same!! Bonus!

To remove the top cover you must remove two #0 phillips screws at the front plastic piece and then pop the top cover of the radio off. It is not difficult; look at the cover carefully and you will see how it is attached. There are some tabs that must be bent slightly, but the process is straight forward.

After the top is removed, This is what you will see....

IMG_2442.JPG

Remove the black CD changer cable connector by unplugging it from the connector on the board.

IMG_2443.JPG

Plug the cable in where the screwdriver is pointing, and route the cable to the outside like it was.

Note: You will need a RCA to Aux Audio cable to plug into the RCA connectors, routed to an accessible location. I installed a female aux audio plug in one of the switch blanks in the center console of my Troop, and connected the cable to that.

That's it!! put the cover back on, put the unit back in the dash, (remove your inoperative CD changer!) and you are done. You can get a cheap Bluetooth box if you want and plug the cable into that. Bluetooth....Yea!

Note: volume level must be turned up on your aux audio source.

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Sweet mod that costs nothing! If you did still use the CD changer on occasion I guess you could grab a second cable from a junkyard and have all 3 sources working.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: I have replaced the Nakamichi with an inexpensive Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth, and all speakers. Sounds Great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts