Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over Christmas I experimented with some hobby items to reproduce an emblem that I had that needed a new number 4. My initial goal was to make a new #4 but I did the emblem too, just for the heck of it. The results turned out better than I expected.
I think this may help to replace some hard to find OEM emblems.

What I did:
I started with a good 4-WD emblem (the best of the 2) that goes on the cab pillar, I took it apart and used a compound to reproduce the emblem in a mold.
After I was sure the mold was ready, I made my first emblem and #4. The emblem turned out fine but some air bubbles ruined the #4. My next batch turned out better, on this one I added dye to produce the red emblem and the red #4. A little sanding and walla, new reproduction emblem!

The success with the red dye made me want to try other colors, so I did I tried metallics to get the silver and the copper and a combination metallic and red to get the metallic red emblem.

Here are the prototypes:

Other mold photos here.

The other odd looking chunks is where I poored my extra resin. I'm not sure what I'll do with them.

On up the road, I'm going to send a few to a chrome plater and see how they turn out.
I also plan to make molds of other emblems.
If you have one you want reproduced, or any other small item for that matter, let me know. I can mold them in any color and perhaps be able to have it chrome plated in the near future.

·
Registered
155 Posts
MAN! Awesome work!!!!

How much ya gettin for these?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't thought much about the price. Considering what I have in making them, I'd say $12 each would cover the cost right now. If I can find supplies at a cheaper rate, I could probably lower the price.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Lookin good! Have ya tought about makin a PI emblem?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
cronk said:
PI as in Planet Isuzu?
I would need a P and an I to do it. Cool idea!
Yep... Planet Isuzoo. I was thinkin a replica of the entire PI insignia, if that's possible. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is so cool. I might get one from ya. I'll let you know. They look really good. Keep up the great work. Does it make you want to experiment with a lot of other emblems? or something else? It just gets my wheels turning thinking about stuff like this.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, yes and yes. I have some other emblems that I want to reproduce and several other small items. To list a few automotive related: radio knobs, shifter balls and hood ornaments.
I think I've come up with a couple of ways to make a planetisuzoo.com emblem. I'll keep you posted on that one.
Also, I've been experimenting with some clear casting material and color additives to come us with colored crystal like emblems. Although they may be a bit on the blingy side, they turned out pretty cool.

In this picture, the WD looks funny because you can see through the top part.

Here is another mold I messed around with. The original is the pewter dog. (you put the halloween snake in it and it poops.) When I molded it, it got an air bubble in the tail so the molds now have a stubby tail.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's basically the same as the resin you use for fiberglass. It smells the same, has the same consistency etc...
I even used the auto fiberglass stuff with same results as you can see in one of the samples (the amber looking one). The clear is a lot more expensive but can be tinted to get the opaque colors.

To answer your question, yes, I can make molds of items, just like I did the pooping dog. The only restrains are size and of course odd shapes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
cronk said:
It's basically the same as the resin you use for fiberglass. It smells the same, has the same consistency etc...
I even used the auto fiberglass stuff with same results as you can see in one of the samples (the amber looking one). The clear is a lot more expensive but can be tinted to get the opaque colors.

To answer your question, yes, I can make molds of items, just like I did the pooping dog. The only restrains are size and of course odd shapes.
Does it take paint pretty well?

I wanted to make a custom grille emblem in the style of the old "coat of arms" styles of yesteryear. Something like this (but not NEARLY so complex:

Or

You get the idea.

I was thinking of using my family name coat of arms which is very simple, basically three blue circles on a yellow shield.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reran gets his wish!
Scott saw the early stages of this back when I was in Lompoc.

I had to make it from scratch. I then cast a mold of the scratch built piece. From the first cast, I sanded it, fill it and tweaked it to get it to looking right. The end run shouldn't look home made at all. It is still a work in progress but you get the idea!

Once I get the final version the way I want it, I'll cast a new mold.

I hope to have the prototypes with me at Uwharrie.

I will be able to do these in clear, dyed colors and who knows, maybe even two tone. Chrome plating may be an option at a later date.

This is the 1st version. Use your imagination on what I used to get the shape!

The original, the mold and the 1st cast shown here together:

Close up of the cast:

The trimmed version:

As you can see, the size will be about 3.5" x 7" for the PI emblem, 1.5" x 8" for the actual PLANETISUZOO. Not too big but still small engough to be placed in a number of places.

For the scoop I'll be doing this on a much larger scale! I'm thinking that I'll cast a PLANETISUZOO on the underside of the scoop so we'll be able to tell the reproductions from the original scoops.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
I want the underside of my scoop autographed with one of those small engraving machines. Light touch please. Or, you could put an extra plate or something underneath with your sig. Either way would be cool. I'm serious. :shock:

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
shooter said:
I want the underside of my scoop autograph with one of those small engraving machines. Light touch please. Or, you could put an extra plate or something underneath with your sig. Either way would be cool. I'm serious. :shock:
The forum graphic & artist sig on side of scoop (right at the tall front end) would be killer. A small sig plate rivited on maybe?

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
cronk said:
Reran gets his wish!
WOOHOO!!! That looks great. I had no idea you were actually working on a PlanetIsuzoo emblem. Can't wait to see it at Uwharrie.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.