Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Irrelevant background:
Last April, I bought my '98 Amigo (off of eBay!) and, with my daughter, drove it from Dallas home to Boston. Along the way, it developed a stalling problem coming off the highway, but from previous board posts, I quickly recognized this as the dreaded IMG issue (thanks board!) Fortunately, I had purchased powertrain protection, which covered about half the cost.

The trip home was quieter than we had planned because the CD changer gave us the infamous ERR3 message. Once we got home, though, I was able to easily clear the jammed disks according to the tips posted here (thanks again, board!)

Soon after, I bought (on eBay - see a pattern developing here?) a replacement remote for the doors, and programmed it according to the posted notes (thanks yet again, board). Next week, I'm picking up my hard top (purchased on . . . you're way ahead of me already, aren't you) and I already have the conversion notes (thanks still yet again, board!)

Actual issue:
When I took delivery, I noticed that the blower fan wasn't working on all speeds. The seller suggested a bad resistor and gave me a small settlement. When driving in the dark for the first time that night, I learned that the dashboard illumination was out (although all external lights are fine). Turning on the headlights also turns off the radio illumination. I have an electrial manual for the car, but I'm no electrician (I'm not a doctor either, dammit Jim!)

Is it likely that the bad resistor (or whatever else is plaguing the blower) is related to the other electrical issues? Would a broken or shorted wire in the radio harness cause the dash illumination to go out? How hard is it to check/replace the dashboard bulbs?

Thanks to all who've helped me here, past and present!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I would find it hard to believe that all of the dash lights are burned out. Are you sure that there isn't a dimmer switch (or knob, or...) somewhere? On the Troopers it's a knob/dial on the dash, and the VX has a knob as well, so I'd imagine that the Rodeo/RS also has some kind of dimmer.

This should be unrelated to the blower resistor, but honestly I wouldn't put it past them to have them related somehow :) If the brake lights and transmission fuse is the same fuse on some Isuzus, they could have connected the dash lights and the blower speed control.

-Tad

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Tad. Just to clarify, it's just the dash illumination, and not all the dash (indicator) lights, that is out. I did fiddle with the dimmer knob, with no effect (I haven't tested the knob to see if it's broken).

What seems strangest to me is the effect of switching on the headlights on the radio illumination. Lights on = radio illumination off, when I would have expected the opposite. But it's not apparent to me how a radio connection could get reversed, since the connectors are all modular. Guess I could just pull the radio, then check the dash lights . . .

In any event, is there a shortcut to getting to the dashboard illumination bulb(s) short of pulling the whole dash?

·
Registered
1 Posts
you see i have the same problem with my 01 rodep which is not still under warranty. and im sure its something simple like the switch cause i have the same problem and ive already checked my lights and their good. if you just want to take a look at your lights anyway go ahead but you do have to take the dash out which isnt that hard i think its just like 5 or 6 bolts for the dash and i think 4 for the gauge cluster its self. if anyone could tell me something remedy this please do i dont know how fast i go at night i just approximate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I broke down and took the 'Migo to the stealership today. Result: internal short in the blower motor was responsible for fan problem. Disconnected plug :evil: behind dimmer switch was responsible for no dash illumination. Cost: $475 :cry: :evil:

They offered to investigate the broken intermittent windshield wipers (when they must know full well what everyone on this board already knows about the relay in the alarm control module), but I disconnected the $$ IV before they did any more damage.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yeah they would have gotten you for another 300 or so just to fix the wipers. All they would have done was swap out the alarm board. A 280 dollar printed circuit board, all because of a two dollar and fourty five cent relay.

Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I pick up the truck last night, all psych'd to have dashboard illumination and a working defrost, only to wake up this morning and find 2 screws still sitting loose in the shifter boot. This, after the dealership charged me $104.10 to reconnect the plug behind the dimmer switch that some previous butthead had left unplugged. Wonder what's gonna fall out from behind the dash??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts