Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: Rodeo sport has sat for the last 4 years (Ill get into why 4 different mechanics are morons at a later date). Shes back on road, new cats and all new exhaust 2nd day driving and all my interior and exterior lights are pulsing bad w idle at idle, goes away over 1000 rpms...ya similar to the 1.5 yr electrical issue thread, but this is rodeo where I dont think the alternator is ecm controlled...Ive been around the block and Figured bad battery or alternator...battery IS 2 years old but pulled out VM and 12.3v off and 14.4v running, checked ground, and all connections I could reach, sanded and reattached, no change. Im not running any accesories or lights, even w/ headlights and everything off, i can see the dash lights pulsing to the idle....now its 15 degrees and blizzarding out and im in the driveway w a flashlight so i apologize for any typos in advance.
Thanx much
Frozen Aj

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
If the lamps work properly when the engine is not running, the fault is in the alternator. If the alternator has a defective rectifier diode the output will be DC with an AC component. You can see this with an oscilloscope and so can the lamps. If the lamps pulse when being supplied by the battery only then the wiring is at fault. You are correct a 01 Rodeo Sport does not have an ECM/PCM controlled alternator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the quick response, ya I was figuring that or the brushes.......any chance on this.....after 4 years of sitting, amazingly the only thing that doesnt work is the cruise control, and Ive noticed the idle seems low compared to pre-sitting. Its only idling at around 5-600 rpms what about a bad vacuum hose causing both no cruise and a a low idle rpm leading to low voltage being produced from the alternator?
Thanx again
Aj

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
If one of the brushes were defective there would be no output all.

A 01 Rodeo Sport has an Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system that is controlled by the ECM/PCM. At idle in neutral it should idle about 800 rpm and around 600 in D with the brake on. Any vacuum leak will cause erratic idle because it upsets the computed air/fuel ratio. To sort things out quickly you need a scan tool so you can monitor various engine parameters and see it there are any anomalies. There are a lot of sensors on this vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts