Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L.
My check engine light came on a few days ago so I took it to Autozone to get a reading; the code scanner told me it was Auxillary Emmissions controle code P1404 EGR valve stuck closed. my question is how do I get it unstuck?
what does this mean for my engine in the long run?
thanks alot.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
No big deal. The Egr valve in the Isuzus will need a cleaning every now and again. The EGR valve is held on by two bolts, it's located on the passenger side of the engine, all the way on the back. It's round with a wiring harness plugged into it.

Just unplug the wires and then remove the two bolts. The EGR should now lift right off.

Spray some air intake cleaner into the open end of the EGR and let is sit.

There are two holes in the intake where the EGR was. One sucks one blows. Block the one that blows with a shop rag and with the truck running empty a can of cleaner into the EGR passage. Use the whole can!!

Now go back to your ERG valve and dump out the cleaner, spray more back in. Using a screwdriver push the pintle in and twist it back and forth putting some pressure on the pintle once it bottoms out.

Dump and repeat. This should get the pintle where it will move freely.

Reinstall.

Joe

·
Registered
280 Posts
Great advice. I had my EGR go bad soon after I bought my truck, and when I saw what I was paying for in terms of labor, I kicked myself HARD. :evil:

If you can turn a wrench, you can remove and replace the EGR on the 2000 Trooper. :?

Of course, if all else fails, I hear tannerite is very effective. :twisted:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot guys! great help
quick reply as soon as it stops raining
I'll get to it! :D

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just to clarify, the repair is easy AND needed. If the EGR and/or the return line is plugged this can fairly quickly result in excessive oil consumption. Again this is not just a "so what if the NOX is high while I wait on the fix" type of deal. You need to either fix it ASAP or keep a very close eye on your oil level.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Does that mean a truck with a dirty or blocked egr valve or return line will cause th engine to burn more oil? If that's true...wow...I didn't realize that...I've cleaned mine before but that was awhile ago. Guess I better clean that sucker again.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just thought I'd share this. I was at Marshalls with my wife who was getting scrapbook supplies when I noticed a bag full of long pipe cleaners. They are a fair bit longer than the standard size pipe cleaners. They are used with kids to make crafts. Some of the pipe cleaners have stiff bristles, the ones with metallic looking material mixed in with the other color to give them a sparkle appearance. Shoot some carb cleaner on one of these and cram it down the EGR tube, then shoot cleaner down the tube itself. Use a new pipe cleaner and keep doing this until the pipe cleaner comes out fairly clean. Next to check and make sure I addressed the entire length of the EGR tube I ran string trimmer line down the tube to make sure I just didn't push a bunch of gunk further down the tube. Ran a little more carb cleaner down the tube. I think this is better than trying to flush that goop into your engine and you don't have to use an entire can of carb spray. Get the longest pipe cleaners you can find. Works great and they are cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've used pipe cleaners as well. I use them in both holes under the EGR. I put a bunch together and fold them over and scrub out the holes. The larger hole was absolutley gross, as was the smaller one. The other end by the throttle was nasty as well. I like using a coat hanger there too.

marc

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just did mine today. I used some old cleaning brushes for my 45.
They worked great on a real messy unit. The hole going into the plenum was the worst. You will need to take the EGR valve and the three bolt block that it sits on to get a straight shot at the hole to the plenum. My EGR was also froze. I soaked it in some non clorinated brake cleaner, and then worked it over with a star socket. It took some time, but it freed up nicely. The car runs well and the CEL 1406 went away.
GEG

·
Registered
894 Posts
Troopermania - the burning oil/plugging EGR is primarily a problem in the 3.5 with too few oil drainback oils.

Thus, with you 1994 you are less likely to need cleanings.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures to add to this post? It would help tremendously for those of us that are mechanically impaired.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a restricter in the return line? If not then my EGR return line is definately plugged! Also, cananyone tell me where the ECM is located on a 2000 Rodeo?

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
No restrictor in either EGR tube. They should be open all the way through. Just find something to jam in there to break the stuff loose.

On my '99 I beleive its below the stereo. You have to pull the center console to get to it, sits right behind where the acc plug is.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
On your 2000 it's been relocated to under the hood on the drivers side of the engine bay, up next to the brake booster.

Joe

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I thought that was the tranny computer. I saw it in protetypes '01 and knew mine didnt have that. Mine has the holes to mount it there though. His is an auto and mine is 5 speed so that was the only thing I could think of that it would be.

Guess you learn something new every day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts