Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took off my EGR, scraped off the old gasket (which was not brittle) and found the pintle was moving fine. i got a tiny bit of gunk off, replaced the gasket and things are working fine. could my fault codes re: excessive flow EGR be caused simply by a leak in the gasket? i felt like i must be missing something, it was just too easy...

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It very well could have been the gasket.

Joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't forget to clean out the pipe that runs from the EGR to the intake manifold. The EGR valves can be clean and moving freely, but there is often a ton of carbon built up in the pipe. Remove the intake hose, block open the throttle plate, and take a look with a flashlight into the EGR tube. It'll probably be black. I used a snake-type brush (actually a slide cleaning brush for a brass musical instrument) to clean out the pipe. Take a rag and put it in front of the pipe, spray the crap out of it with carb cleaner (make sure you get the stuff that says 'safe for o2 sensors') and use the brush to clean out the pipe. Try and catch the dirty carb cleaner sludge in the rag. After a few passes the EGR should be much cleaner. Put it all back together, and fire ti up. You'll probably get a flashing CEL for a min or two along with rough idling. Once it smooths out, shut it off, disconnect the battery for 30 mins or pull the ECU fuse for the same amount of time, and see if the codes disappear. Since you have an excessive flow code, it may not be the problem per se, but a good idea anyway to keep it from getting too built up inside.

·
Registered
825 Posts
actually a slide cleaning brush for a brass musical instrument
good minds must think alike, lol... i will soon be cleaning out my egr, and the first thing that came to mind after looking at it, was the trumpet cleaner i used to use back in middle school.

·
Registered
166 Posts
mdocod said:
actually a slide cleaning brush for a brass musical instrument
good minds must think alike, lol... i will soon be cleaning out my egr, and the first thing that came to mind after looking at it, was the trumpet cleaner i used to use back in middle school.
I knew there was a reason I kept the horn for so long. :)

Suprisingly, it works great. Who woulda thunk it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.