Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is common knowledge. I hadn't seen anything about it on web. Been haveing go around with P1404 code on 99 Trooper. Cleaned everything, etc. Spotted, then snagged, an EGR valve off a mid nineties Pontiac Bonneville, 3800 V-6. Bolted on and worked. No more check engine light. Turns out the vavle is an AC Delco part. I've since seen same valve on late 90's Chevy smallblock. Better than spending $100!!!! Buddies say GM went to this EGR valve in '96. I've got to catch up! I'm still setting points on my Kaw!
meathead

·
Registered
601 Posts
This correct. I went with a buddy to the junk yard to get an EGR for his 98 Saturn and discovered it looked exactly like my EGR on my '01 Trooper. I have been bugging him for 6 weeks to let me have his old EGR valve so I could test fit it on my Trooper so I could post up the results for everyone.

Hopefully I'll test fit it soon then we can cross reference part numbers potentially saving some hassle for people!

·
Registered
296 Posts
somone should test autozone to see it the same part for 3 different models costs the same?

i'm willing to bet that each has a different price for the same part... :roll:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Autozone EGR

1999 Rodeo v6 4x4 egr 110.99. I've seen them go higher than this on ebay...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did a check on the autozone website...apparently the parts look the same, however, they have a different part number, and also cost a different amount of money. I used to work at an autozone, and found that generally, if there was a diff. part number, there was a good reason for it as we almost always kept as few part numbers as possible.

They do look the same, and I imagine that in our case...one may work for both, while the other will only work for one.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Careful!

The EGR pintle has different profiles and different port sizes.

It's in the thousandths of an inch and too much is just as bad as too little EGR actual flow.

Although there are similarities in the units, there is a somewhat different calibration in the spring rates too.

Then there's the vacuum nipple on the EGR can itself â€" it too has a restrictor port â€" or NOT! Depends.

You might be able to get away with swapping them around, but they really are different in many areas that are not apparent to the eye.

The OER-types even have different "jets" that come with the new valve to set the flow characteristics for the engine/year/transmission/etc for a specific application.

Close only works well in horseshoes and small-yield nuclear devices, not necessarily in an EGR!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.