Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions for this ongoing saga, please:

If a cam slips on the timing belt, will the cylinders on that side be likely to have any compression? Dealer says pass side is 80,90, and normal. I would think all three would be lower......

What could cause the air cleaner to roar like a jet engine? Something is pulling air in real hard, and it doesn't seem to ever change. :?

Codes said lean, missing, low O2 sensor signal. New O2 probes and MAF sensor did nothing.

It'll start and barely idle, but not enuf power to move itself.

If I pull the spark plug wires on any cylinder on driver's side, she quits completely.

If I pull a wire on the pass side, it keeps running (almost no change).

I was suspecting a slipped timing belt on one cam, and took it to a dealer for diagnosis.

They charged $222 to change the plugs and measure the compression, and said "maybe it's the timing belt". For $900-$1000 aditional we'll replace it.

At this point ANY help will be appreciated; guess I tear it down this Sunday

·
Registered
591 Posts
malpais said:
Two questions for this ongoing saga, please:

If a cam slips on the timing belt, will the cylinders on that side be likely to have any compression? Dealer says pass side is 80,90, and normal. I would think all three would be lower......
The actual compression numbers would vary depending on how far off the valve timing is for that cylinder head. I forget exactly, but it takes something like two (or more) full revolutions of the belt sprocket on the head to make a full 4-stroke cycle. The roaring will happen as you may not have normal 'breathing' on that side. Your dealer should have pulled the valve cover on the side in question & verified where the cam lobes are in relation to the piston position. That and the compression check are the only ways to know for sure.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DUH!

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think to look under the valve cover to see where the valves are. Do this all the time when setting timing while rebuilding v-dubs and 22re's!

This engine with all the crap on it intimidates me I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.