Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[rant mode]

Sound it out.

When you say the word, etcetera, out loud, does it sound like:

Et Set Er Ah.

Or does it sound like:

Eck Tet Er Ah.

???

Or if you want to get technical, and say that the "c" has an "s" sound:

Ess Tet Er Ah.

(If the c is placed before the t, it becomes a hard c, or "k" sound.)

I can understand a misspelling like "definately", because most people pronounce it in such a way that it sounds like an "a" after the "n", rather than the "i" that is supposed to be there.

But who goes around saying "Eck Tet Er Ah", "Eck Tet Er Ah", "Eck Tet Er Ah" ???

There is no logic to putting the c before the t, when you abbreviate the word. Only laziness, inattention, Etc...

[/rant mode]
 

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
Joined
·
2,715 Posts
Feel better, now that you got that off your chest! :lol:

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
You´d be pissed down here as much as I do. Some people here say Pecsi instead of Pepsi. And piczza instead of pizza. :twisted:

local rant off :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
HAHAHA I hear "Pixxa" all the time in Dallas. "You wanna order a pixxa for dinner?"

Also, "definitely" is one of the things that used to bother me but I learned to deal with it. I've seen it spelled "defiantly." I used to be like, "Well if you don't want to, you don't have to..." when people told me they were "defiantly interested."

I found that it was more satisfactory for me to commend people who spelled it correctly rather than mock people who didn't. It's worked out for me so far. :wink:

Also, "expeshully." Especially. Do you see a "c" or an "x" in there? I sure don't.

/My portion of this rant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
damn. i thought you were talking about Electronic traction control

man am i a gearhead.
:p :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
damn grammar nazis!

:lol: Lol, JK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dae said:
damn grammar nazis!

:lol: Lol, JK!
You forgot the capitalize the "d".

But hey, at least you spleled it rite.

:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
They always told me to count to ten before saying anything...

one, two, tree, foar, fife, stix, seben, ate, nine, ten

I feel much better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,933 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
Dae said:
damn grammar nazis!

:lol: Lol, JK!
You forgot the capitalize the "d".

But hey, at least you spleled it rite.

:lol:
Actually, it should be, "Damned grammar nazi's!". Using the word "damn" is this context is lazy talk. :p

Like people that use, "our" in place of "are" because they lazily pronounce "our" like "are".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
I want some shushi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Sushi sounds good! Lets kill some puppy s in. Unhuman way before eat sushi. Haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,139 Posts
CatFuzz said:
Selador AKA Tat said:
Dae said:
damn grammar nazis!

:lol: Lol, JK!
You forgot the capitalize the "d".

But hey, at least you spleled it rite.

:lol:
Actually, it should be, "Damned grammar nazi's!". Using the word "damn" is this context is lazy talk. :p

Like people that use, "our" in place of "are" because they lazily pronounce "our" like "are".
Ooh ooh let me in on this. :twisted:

Actually nazis is correct because that is the plural. Apostrophe S (the 's part) indicates a possessive as in "grab that damned grammar nazi's dictionary and throw it in the fire".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,001 Posts
Ever try meow meow sushi? :lol: i kidd!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Selador AKA Tat said:
[rant mode]

Sound it out.

When you say the word, etcetera, out loud, does it sound like:

Et Set Er Ah.

Or does it sound like:

Eck Tet Er Ah.

???
Dude, you have the "K" and "T" sound backwards.
It should be:
Et Ket Er Ah

At least according to my high school latin teacher.
(former US Marine, with tats showing because he wore tank tops even in winter, etc., etc.)

From Wikipedia:
Latin pronunciation: [É›t keË
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
DogMeat said:
Dude, you have the "K" and "T" sound backwards.
It should be:
Et Ket Er Ah

At least according to my high school latin teacher.
(former US Marine, with tats showing because he wore tank tops even in winter, etc., etc.)

From Wikipedia:
Latin pronunciation: [É›t keË
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top