Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I finally found an impulse near me for a reasonable price so I went and picked it up

It is a 1989 with a 2.3 and suspension by Lotus

This is how I found it, with a massive coolant leak, barely running on 3 cylinders. Other than that it was in great condition! The leak was one of the coolant hoses going to the throttle body. A quick bypass fixed that problem. Swapped plugs, wires, and cap out and it ran perfect.

$450 later and the impulse was mine. Truely a steal

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it from an old couple in Vancouver Washington. Several years ago it was at a car auction and no one bought it. So the auction donated it to a high school shop class. One of the students liked it so much he decided to buy it from the school when the class was finished. Soon after it developed the problem it had when I bought it. The high schooler decided it was too much work to fix and left it at his parents house for a few years before they got tired of looking at it and sold it to me.

Because it was sitting for so long many parts started going out on me. First was the clutch, so off i went ordering parts. I was suprised to find a kit on rockauto for only $40.

With the saved cash I decided to buy a new clutch master cylinder, pressure hose, and slave cylinder. While I was at it I bought new brake rotors, pads, and various other small parts.

Parts came and it was time to drop the transmission. Usually on my Rodeo I don't even need to jack it up to get the transmission out. This however was a very different story.

Once the car was up high enough I got to work, turned out to be a very easy job. Had the transmission down in no time.

I decided to take the transmission down to the car wash and clean it up before I reinstall it. Also had some time to kill while the flywheel was getting resurfaced. Came out nice and shiny

Got everything reinstalled and off i went, finally getting that power to the rear wheels

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ran a compression test on the little 2.3 and cylinder 3 came up short. So it's time for this Impulse to get a heart transplant.

Went out and bought this 2.6 block, little dirty but lots of potential

I talked to Bad Brad aka Bradzuzu and he explained his idea of using second gen 3.2 pistons in place of the stock 2.6 pistons. The 3.2 pistons are lighter, and stronger. They are also slightly bigger so the block will need to be bored.

I took the block up to Brads shop and we got to work, once it was disassembled we took everything in to the machine shop

I went back to RockAuto and ordered all the seals and gaskets for the build, decided to get the main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, and 3.2 rings from Jerry.

He sent it all plus a sticker! Jerry is the best

·
Registered
217 Posts
That looks like a great project! Tell us more about the 3.2 piston swap, how much of an overbore is needed? Body of the car looks it's in very good condition.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Whoa! I just looked at your signature tag line. The Impulse is getting a supercharger?!! OK, this is gonna be fun to watch! :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the car is in great shape. Won't know the exact over bore until it gets back from the shop but Brad's thinking around 25 to 30.

We will also be installing a Toyota SC14 supercharger, with the combined strength of the forged 2.6 crankshaft, forged rods, and stronger 3.2 pistons, it should be able to take a decent amount of boost

The SC14 will mount where the smog pump goes for the pickup's and troopers. It will be ran off the alternator belt. It's setup with 2 flanges on either side so we will be routing it into a front mount intercooler.

The 3.2 pistons bring the deck height down just a smidge, lowering compression. That's good because we will be using the impulse 2.3 head. Anytime you put a 2.3 head on a 2.6 it raises compression due to the smaller domes in the 2.3. My only concern is that compression will be on the high side and that we won't be able to run much boost. But for now we will just have to wait and see

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
SWEET!!!!!! Looks to be in real good shape. Obviously has early Trooper / Rodeo steering wheel. Sunroof is probably the same too. Will be a real Isuzu hot rod. Dennis

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I am really glad to see you starting a build on one of these, the IMP is a rare bird and in my opinion definitely worth the time and work involved. Will really enjoy watching this to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,197 Posts
Really nice find. I'll be following along as you go with this one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the supercharger we will be using, the SC14. This one came off a Toyota previa. It is equipped with an electric clutch pulley much like an air conditioning compressor. This will let me decide when I want the boost, and when I want to just cruise. This will help gas mileage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you look behind the blower you'll see the two flanges. These mini roots blowers are setup to be ran like a turbo. You pipe a filter onto one end, then the other goes into round tubing that will run through a front mount intercooler then into the throttle body. Just like a turbo

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got some more work done on the DutchPulse™ when I bought it the fuel gauge worked for about 1 tank of gas, then completely stopped working. Couldn't find any replacement for the part online, so I figured I would just drop the tank and see what I can do

After removing the sending unit I realized it was very different from anything else, it had 5 wires going into it rather than the standard 3. I tried making a rodeo sending unit work with no success

Did some research on the Piazza forums only to find claims that it is a one off unit unreplaceable other than OEM

So as a last ditch effort me and Tim went to go visit the PartsPulse™ had to drag it out of the mud with Tims Trooper

Got the sending unit out from the PartsPulse and cleaned up. Installed it into the DutchPulse and what do you know, it works!

Fixing the little things are definitely worth it

Oh and we also installed a new rear exhaust too, somehow someone near by just happened to have one for sale for $25

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just noticed one of your previous posts described the electric clutch actuation of the supercharger. How does the plumbing work, I would guess that the supercharger at rest would cause a pretty significant intake restriction. Is there a loop around the 'charger with a one way valve?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, so how blow off valves, and bypass varices work is with vacuum the valve is open. With boost the valve is closed until pressure reaches whatever psi your valve is set to then they pop open. So with the blower turned off there would be constant vacuum on the valve leaving it wide open allowing air to bypass the blower

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got the block, pistons, rods, and crankshaft back from the machine shop.

Engine cleaned
Cylinders bored 30 over to fit v6 pistons
Wrist pins shortened
Pistons bored to fit pins
Pistons fitted and balanced
Crankshaft turned 10/10
Crankshaft balanced
Main journals and caps cleaned up

Total bill $717

Everything looks very nice and shiny

The 3.2 pistons sit a little low in the cylinder so the block is back in the shop to get the deck height lowered to bring the compression up, after that we can start throwing all the parts together. Maybe give the new motor a paint job too

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
DutchBro said:
Yes, so how blow off valves, and bypass varices work is with vacuum the valve is open. With boost the valve is closed until pressure reaches whatever psi your valve is set to then they pop open. So with the blower turned off there would be constant vacuum on the valve leaving it wide open allowing air to bypass the blower
If Mad Max can turn his blower off and on, so can you!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My radiator started leaking so I went in search of a cheap replacement, only to find absolutely nothing anywhere. Then luckily somehow I started chatting with the member ImpulseRocket89. He was also doing a 2.6 swap into his impulse, I was very impressed with his work. Sadly he couldn't finish the impulse and had to part all of the goodies out he's collected. Remembering from his build thread that he had a custom radiator built for his impulse I asked him about it and we made a deal.

It's a triple core all aluminum Ron Davis radiator, with a car powerful eclectic fan attached

Very beautiful craftsmanship, anyways perfect fit and easy to wire up. Should keep this thing nice and cool. No upper mounts yet will have to get Bad Brad to help me with that, for now bungee cords will have to do

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,197 Posts
That's one good looking radiator. Now if it will cool as good as it looks your all set.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts