Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well i figured everyone else is doing it so i might as well too, I've already done alot to my isuzu so I'm going to just out it all in order here. Me and 800XL do everything together in our drive way.

It all started when I got my first isuzu, a 91 red trooper with a 2.8 v6 i was 15 and it was the coolest thing ever! Got it for $450 with a bad clutch and a bad head gasket so it was more like a gas guzzling 4 cylinder
FB_IMG_1427432884129.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
About 8 months later i got my license and it was the best, i could go everywhere! Then 2 weeks later i learned just how dangerous driving on gravel could be... the hard way

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was forced to drive my sisters saturn for a year until i bought my rodeo! It's a 1995.5 so it has the later model dash style Paid $500. It had a leaking coolant manifold gasket and a clogged radiator because of the idiot i bought it from decided stop leak and jb weld was better than replacing a 2 dollar gasket. I replaced the radiator and put the gasket in only to find it had a bad head gasket

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started taking it apart, got the intake off and started working on the valve covers and head bolts

Got one head off had to drill one of the head bolts

Took both heads off to find that the block had bad threads in it :cry: now what?? Thought about tapping the holes but decided a new block would have been better

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did some research and found that Isuzu made a special version of the 3.2 v6 only %8-10 or troopers came with a 3.2 DOHC engine with +20 horse power. Hmmm. I did even more looking and they use the same block as the 3.2 SOHC they just have better heads and a different intake manifold. I saw a post by TAD talking about a similar swap so i decided to go ahead and do it. So i picked this baby up for $500 bucks. Came from a 94 trooper with 122k miles. Looked good and had all cylinders compressing at 180

Out with the old in with the new right? First gotta drop the tranny

Time to hook up the old block

Ready??

Lift!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now to get the DOHC into the garage... Hmmm hey you think we could borrow your boss's fork lift?

Time to get it apart and see how it looks inside! Put in new valve cover gaskets while we're at it

You know that DOHC intake doesnt look very good, i bet the SOHC would be better
FB_IMG_1452190003827.jpg

If you use the SOHC intake manifold and injectors it bolts right up and you can keep the ECU just how it is. Plus the DOHC intake never really worked well anyways they tried making it get the best of both worlds for low rpm power and high rpm power but it just didn't happen like they wanted it too. The SOHC Intake has long tubes and is really good for low RPM power like you'd want with a 5 speed while the DOHC engine has very good high RPM power so this combo is the best of both worlds in the end.

Test fit looks good!

Just needs a few finishing touches then it will be ready to go in!

Who needs a V6 when you can have Flintstone power??(800XL)

After about 6 hours are wrestling it in we finally got it. We put it in with the tranny attached. We literally had to squeeze it to get it in. Using a come along and a jack we finally got it to pop into place. We drilled out some eco friendly exhaust restrictors in the y pipe to the DOHC could breathe better. Bolted everything up and got it running. It felt like a long journey was finally over. Now it was time to go play with the new 200 horse power rodeo :D

Right after we got it in place

Everything all put together and ready to roll

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After several weeks of driving everywhere with my foot to the floor and my head pressed into the head rest i was finally getting used to my new Isuzu :)

I kept hearing a clunk from the back whenever i turned so i picked up some poly shackle bushings from energy suspension, backed by truck up into out walk way to stay dry and thought hey these shouldn't take too long... 18 hours later...

The shackle eye was the worst, the rubber fused itself inside, we used drills, whole saws, blow torches, and finally we got it out just to find we had to peel a steel ring out or the spring eye as well. Eventually we got it done and my annoying noise went away

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does every 17 year old need in there car?? A kick *** stereo setup. I bought 4 infinity reference speakers for $110. a 1100 watt amp for $60, an infinity 12 inch sub woofer for $65, a box for $30, and a wire kit for $16. Then spent the afternoon wiring everything in.

By the time it got dark i was just about finished and ready to piss all my neighbors off! I also installed blue led lights under the dash on either side and under the seats turning the whole foot wells blue

I wanted to make my car look like my computer i guess lol

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kept seeing people go by with brush guards on there rigs and i thought "damn i want one of those" so i did some price checking online and they want $400 for a new one! So i did some looking and saw this baby at a local pick n pull they only wanted $40 for it!

So i went and luckily it was still there, took it home and mounted it up! Looks pretty mean now especially with those brand new BF Goodrich T/A's on :D

Halloween came and my clutch hydraulics went out that night! So i got a new master cylinder, salve cylinder, and it worked great! For 2 days... the hose fitting broke so i decided instead to go with a 4 foot long braided steel hydraulic line to go straight from the master to the slave. Had it made for $70 bucks.

Happy Halloween!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a few months of shimmying to a stop i decided it was about time to put new front disks and breaks on, also gave me a chance to repack my bearings and clean my warn hubs up a bit so i ordered the parts and got to work

One side done one to go!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ShaneWhitlock said:
Impressive ... You've done a great job with the Rodeo! Hell of a deal for the brush guard.
Ya gonna lift it any or keep it stock?
Thanks ill probably lift it a couple inches, I want to weld up some diffdrop brackets and some longer shackles.Probably do just a torssion bar crank for the front and a ball joint flip. Diff drops not that important I just like overdoing things ;) My ultimate goal would be to pull a front dana 44 from an old wagoneer and do an SAS but I don't have nearly enough money, time, or enough equipment to take on a project that size.

·
Registered
790 Posts
DutchBro said:
Who needs a V6 when you can have Flintstone power??

After about 6 hours are wrestling it in we finally got it. We put it in with the tranny attached. We literally had to squeeze it to get it in. Using a come along and a jack we finally got it to pop into place. We drilled out some eco friendly exhaust restrictors in the y pipe to the DOHC could breathe better. Bolted everything up and got it running. It felt like a long journey was finally over. Now it was time to go play with the new 200 horse power rodeo :D
Hey look I'm intarwebs famous now! Even after I got out of the way the squeeze part was definitely not easy. The bell housing of the tranny hit the firewall/trans tunnel hump well before the bottom of oil pan could clear the front axle. It really only needed a 1/4 or 1/2 inch more clearance, but the body wasn't moving and neither was the axle. If anyone else attempts to install engine and trans together like this, I recommend loosening something. If the diff could have dropped a tiny bit it would have slid in. If you have even a 1 inch body lift it would also have been enough. Pulling it backwards with a come-a-long squeezed the firewall back enough I think to get it into place.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wmorrisiii said:
Really liked that little red Trooper with the 2.8 in it though.
Yeah it was a great truck I couldn't have asked for a better first car, it had a bad clutch for the fan and only ever ran on 4 cylinders so you could hear it coming from across town but I loved it to death. Then it really did die

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I like to see your desire for all those Isuzus. Great job with the engine swap.

DutchBro said:
Is that two Trooper belongs to your neighbor? It's awesome things that you live in an Isuzu community.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The tan 86 trooper and maroon 95 in the background are mine, we're sort of an Isuzu family here. I guess I'm the initial carrier of Zoo disease and DutchBro caught it.

That red 91 was a great first rig. It rolled on its side sliding backwards into a ditch and he came out with just a scratch on one I knuckle.. Plus it drove itself home, though it was a bit breezy.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Wow great thread. So you've got a "hybrid DOHC". Cool. I can only imagine 200 HP in a Rodeo. Hope everything works out for getting the front end fixed. Dennis

Reactions: DutchBro

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Dutch,

Just got through your build thread! As above, wow! Very well written with a droll sense of humor for such a young person! Keep it up. Well done.

Cheers,

GB

Reactions: DutchBro
1 - 20 of 115 Posts