Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading somewhere, about a build where someone did a dual transfercase on a Troop.... I looked in Pirate, and couldn't find anything. 'Cause I am usually blind, does anyone recall this idea actuall being done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some things I am a little worried about with a dual, would be redoing the front driveline. That was already close to $500 :cry: ! I noticed that Matt at Indy is now a dealer for the Monster cases. I wonder If that would mount up?! Might still have to lengthen the front a few inches; which might help with the steep angle...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
If you find any good info on dual cases, PLEASE let me know. I really love to wheel my trooper but it just needs that really low gearing. I thought about the teralows but they just aren't low enough for what I do. I ride with a bunch of those toyota guys and they all have those marlin crawlers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
You wouldn't by chance be the same Andre on Pirate would you?
Huh? That must be another Andre with a one-ton passport (insert flip-off smiley here :lol: )

I remember someone else on pirate that did dual Isuzu cases. I see what I can find. There are a couple different ways it's been done, but the main issue is the fluid capacity in the front case once the front output is removed. With the reduced capacity, it will heat up very quickly at speed. 94Rodeo ended up installing a pump to move fluid between the two cases to help with this problem.

I don't think that a monster box (stak, right?) or any other aftermarket case would bolt up without a custom adapter. The Isuzu bolt pattern is unique. Unless it is one of the 3 or 4 speed cases with the built in range box, I wouldn't count on it changing the front driveshaft length much.

As far as your front driveshaft, did you have it built from scratch? If you needed to lengthen it, it should be just a matter of having it retubed, which should only run $80 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
What years/models are we talking about? All the info I got for doing a doubler on my 86 was pretty specific to that particular transfer case. If I knew the model, I could try to cross it over and see if anything interchanges. I know for a fact that my diesel case is easier to double b/c the frount output on the tcase unbolts, so you can remove it very easily to make way for teh second case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
I also found this writeup about installing a Toyota trans and dual cases behind an Isuzu engine.
http://www.mjw.com/amigo/marlin/index.shtml

This would give you some more options without as much custom work.

Does anybody know if that is installed on the truck and functioning? Is it possible with both auto and manual trans?
Last I heard it was working well. Here is the fluid transfer pump install
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showf...e=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post860061

Update here
http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showf...e=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post924071

It should work with either auto or manual, but the rear case would need to be an auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,209 Posts
I know there is a certian guy in the Planet's group that is doing some research and done some bench testing and thinks he can do a doubler with two Auto cases and not have much if any machine work involved.

I'm sure he'll post up when he gets closer to the finale.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
gearhead313 said:
What years/models are we talking about? All the info I got for doing a doubler on my 86 was pretty specific to that particular transfer case. If I knew the model, I could try to cross it over and see if anything interchanges. I know for a fact that my diesel case is easier to double b/c the frount output on the tcase unbolts, so you can remove it very easily to make way for teh second case.
I don't know much about that case, but I think you are right. There was someone who added a divorced NP205 to a diesel Isuzu case with the front output removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,209 Posts
What is the benifit of. Having two transfer cases
Really low range gearing.

Think of it like this. When you go into 4wd low do you feel the extra oomph you have?

Well you just went from 1:1 in high range to 2:1 in low range.

Pretend you had yet another t-case to pull the lever on you'd go to 4:1

All of this makes it easier on your engine, like switching gears on a mountain bike as you climb a hill. Also if you happen to drive a five speed, it will make those nose up in the air starts much easier as you can float the clutch till it grabs and then take your foot off the brake and you don't roll back.

Hope that helps.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Starchild said:
I don't think that a monster box (stak, right?) or any other aftermarket case would bolt up without a custom adapter. The Isuzu bolt pattern is unique. Unless it is one of the 3 or 4 speed cases with the built in range box, I wouldn't count on it changing the front driveshaft length much.
The range box you speak of, is that in the transmission, or are you refering to the actual transfer case? I know the Monster case comes in a 3-speed. Like I said, I will have to ask Matt what he thinks.

Starchild said:
As far as your front driveshaft, did you have it built from scratch? If you needed to lengthen it, it should be just a matter of having it retubed, which should only run $80 or so.
The local driveline shop took on the job. They threw a Yota cv at the top, and could only squeeze a short slip yoke for the travel. I have already bottomed it out, and flopped it out. The suspension travels so much farther then the driveline will allow. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
The range box you speak of, is that in the transmission
The front case in a doubler setup is commonly referred to as a range box. I'm not positive about the 3 speed cases, but a 4 speed Atlas for instance, has a built in range box to give the additional gear selections. This is essentially a doubler built as one case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Starchild said:
I also found this writeup about installing a Toyota trans and dual cases behind an Isuzu engine.
http://www.mjw.com/amigo/marlin/index.shtml
That seems to be the best way. I will definitely give the marlin idea a whirl. I will keep everyone updated if I make some headway on the situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
tell ya what underdog u can do it to mine and if u like the results then u can buy more and do it for urs :p :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top