Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
superswire said:
Regardless of what brakes you have, your abs uses a calculation between wheel speeds to simply pulse the solenoids.
its calibrated to the brake system. Even between 2nd generation models they 'tweak' the ABS parameters. If there's more braking force it may not unlock the brakes as expected. So any major change you'd test the different driving conditions.....

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's not how they work. They use the wheel speed sensors to detect lockup. If one wheels stops spinning, it just pulsates the pressure to that line. It basically cuts off the line pressure many times per second. And will actually over react if you have more braking because it will sense the wheel stopping and keep bypassing until it's under control. The parameters on these are simply monitoring the tone rings rotation vs vehicle and other wheel speed and reacting accordingly.

·
Registered
409 Posts
superswire said:
That's not how they work.
It doesn't measure the hydraulic pressure or flow. the parameters that it follows is based on the stock HARWARE as well not just sensor input. Different vehicles use the same Kelsey-Hayes modules but with different software. So it is not only logical that if you alter the hardware it alters the ABS performance, but as well from other people's experience of upgrading their brakes and performance with abs or traction control gives an undesired effect. These are 'blind' upgrades, not engineered, with fingers crossed hoping for the best.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It doesn't measure the hydraulic pressure or flow. the parameters that it follows is based on the stock HARWARE as well not just sensor input. Different vehicles use the same Kelsey-Hayes modules but with different software. So it is not only logical that if you alter the hardware it alters the ABS performance, but as well from other people's experience of upgrading their brakes and performance with abs or traction control gives an undesired effect. These are 'blind' upgrades, not engineered, with fingers crossed hoping for the best.

No matter how powerful your brakes are, the abs module is still going to pulse the brakes. Its not hard to understand. If it sees a wheel lock up, its going to pulse the brakes. whether you have grease on your rotors or brand new 4 piston brembos on drilled rotors, it shouldnt need to be reflashed for your abs to work.

·
Registered
409 Posts
whether you have grease on your rotors or brand new 4 piston brembos on drilled rotors, it shouldnt need to be reflashed for your abs to work.
there is a step beyond what you're talking about. The ABS module may be the same for 2000 and 2002 & older vehicles but it has different parameters to match the differences in hardware . Not all Rodeos for example are four wheel disc, so they have different software. There is something called 'engineering' - when they update the drivetrain its decided by an engineering team and its TESTED vs someone installing hardware because it will FIT. Its a nice thought that parts just 'fall from the sky' and if they fit they are good. a lot of people do performance upgrades, but the net result is LESS performance, because it is 1/2 baked. Doing the 2 piston upgrade is cool but 'half baked ' because you're your own test pilot.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Pulled the trigger on this setup. Will post updates here, especially if something goes south.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Toy Hood

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just to add my own anecdotal experience to the above debate on whether or not the Colorado brakes will affect ABS performance: the 4 wheel ABS on my 93 trooper has gotten a lot of use these past few winters and so I got a pretty good feel for when it activates and how effective it is at stopping me when braking on sheer ice with my old brakes.
Now that the roads are icing up again, and I've had a few very slippery stops, my impression is that it seems like the ABS wants to engage more easily (ie, ABS engages with less brake pedal effort than before when stopping on sheer ice) and I also think the front wheels will lock up slightly easier than the rear wheels now, although this seems to be handled perfectly by the 4 wheel ABS.
There is no discernable difference in the troopers ability to come to a stop when hard braking on sheer ice and the ABS is still only activating when it needs to. Hard to say whether the 2-wheel ABS equipped Isuzus would handle the brake mod as well but on 4 wheel ABS it seems safe to say that the Colorado brake mod does not negatively affect ABS performance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
21 - 28 of 28 Posts