Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the main purpose? What all can i do with it? would it be worth putting one in? has anyone had any experience withem?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a very basic dual battery setup in my truck. My amplifier for my subwoofers is mounted in the rear of my truck so I got a big battery for the rear of the truck and simply wired it into the amp. I can jump start vehicles from the rear of my truck, and I have tons of power now. Eventually I will wire it up properly with a sealed cell battery, isolator & what not. It works great the way it is right now though.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
otg94 said:
I have a very basic dual battery setup in my truck. My amplifier for my subwoofers is mounted in the rear of my truck so I got a big battery for the rear of the truck and simply wired it into the amp. I can jump start vehicles from the rear of my truck, and I have tons of power now. Eventually I will wire it up properly with a sealed cell battery, isolator & what not. It works great the way it is right now though.
I think you may just be about prepared for anything. Jealous of the setup you have there!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm really happy with the way it turned out. As soon as I'm done with my roof rack/roof-top-tent my trooper is gonna be a camping machine. Now I just need OBA & a portable water purification.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have an extra battery laying around, wondering if I should wire up a dual battery or not...anyone know if they will sit right next to each other in the front? Also how can I wire these up the best way?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ian1006 said:
I have an extra battery laying around, wondering if I should wire up a dual battery or not...anyone know if they will sit right next to each other in the front? Also how can I wire these up the best way?
What's your intention with the second battery?
Auxiliary power? Just want to double your CCA?
You can either wire them in parallel, or add an isolator which will allow you to charge the second battery normally but will not allow a load applied to it to draw down the primary battery.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Eventually I want to wire up a bunch of auxiliary lights and I can always dream of a winch right? I found an isolator at napa for up to 120amps for 50 bucks, Ill put it on the to do list. I dont really feel that wiring them in parallel would be a good idea, heard that can lead to problems. No real experience with two batteries though.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have two batteries (1720 CCA total) and a 160A alternator in my F-250 wired in parallel.
It's never been an issue for me.

What have you heard?
I'd like to know.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ArdWrknTrk said:
I have two batteries (1720 CCA total) and a 160A alternator in my F-250 wired in parallel.
It's never been an issue for me.

What have you heard?
I'd like to know.
I have heard that one battery can receive too much charge and the other not enough or if one goes bad it will drain the other one. I guess an isolator will let the primary battery charge until its full then charge the aux one up...the smart ones anyways. I really am just starting to learn about this though so if anyone has experience I want to know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
the batteries both charge as soon as you start the motor but when you turn you key off you stereo will only run from the rear battery just remember to wire the head units memory wire only stright to you engines battery so the if you run the audio battery flat you wont loose your settings, the kit comes with full diagrams to help you out and any more info well i can help when the time comes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
otg94 said:
(img]http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/otg94/2011-11-30_13-14-38_241.jpg[/img)
do you have some kind of switch or breaker between two battery?? so that you can just manually switch on and off.??

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I have a dual battery setup. The first battery has all of the stock loads, except for the radio and cigarette lighter. The 2nd battery has the "house" loads. Stuff plugged into the cig lighter, the fridge on roads-trips, power inverter and anything the family wants to use. This way the non-critical loads run from the 2nd battery and can't prevent the vehicle from starting. I have a battery combiner between the two batteries. It combines the batteries (to charge the house battery and power the non-critical loads) when the voltage of the primary battery is above around 13v. It also has a manual mode so I can jump-start myself if I leave the lights on or something else drains the primary battery.

-Tad

·
Registered
126 Posts
just to clear up a bit of confusion here...if you do run a second battery without an isolator make sure you wire them up in parallel(+ to + - to -). There will be no problems with this. Wired in parallel the batteries will just act like one large battery with the same voltage and double the reserve capacity cranking amps etc. DO NOT wire the batteries in series as this will result in everything connected to your electrical system seeing 24+ volts.

Another thing to consider is the type of batteries you are running. Putting a standard lead acid battery in the cabin with you can be dangerous if there is a spill. Also the leaking gasses can be toxic, just something to consider. I myself will only run AGM sealed batteries in the cabin for safety reasons, just lookin out for you guys!

·
Registered
304 Posts
otg94 said:
Looks like your prepared for a zombie attack

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tad said:
I have a battery combiner between the two batteries. It combines the batteries (to charge the house battery and power the non-critical loads) when the voltage of the primary battery is above around 13v. It also has a manual mode so I can jump-start myself if I leave the lights on or something else drains the primary battery.
Tad,

Is there a particular device you'd recommend to use for a setup like that?

I'm using an isolator (cheap unit from a car audio store) on one truck, and a marine switch on another..
What you described is exactly what I want, but I haven't found all the functionality in one item

Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
would it be best to buy one of the ready made kits? or would it be the same as just doing one of the inline jobs using the same exact battery and all?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts