Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,both my old battery, and my new one, are ac delco's, and have side posts. If i wanted to run a dual battery setup, should i plug one into the other on the side posts, or is there a better way to do it?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Are they top AND side post, or JUST side post?
(side posts on a dual post Batt are weak & can't handle heavy loads like would be needed for a reliable dual Batt install)

There are kits with isolators to run dual setups. Just hooking them in parallel will not give you any safety in regard to an emergency backup, which is generally one of the main points of a dual setup.

~psguardian

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im just looking for more CCA's anyways really, but if i threw an isolator on it, it would just crank off the main battery, right?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
With modification to the tray you can fit a 1000cca Batt in most any rig. Duals are only really useful if you need a backup, or super high amp load for short periods (like running a winch). The most awesome setup I ever saw had: the alt charging both batts, primary Batt running stock equip, secondary Batt running offroad lights, & radio equip (stereo & comms), both isolated against cross system drain... Then at the flip of a switch the alt was disabled (to avoid overload) & both batts truly linked to run the 1200lb winch. Then when the switch is flipped back everything recharges.

~psguardian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts