Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 with a 3.2. When the engine is warm at idle the oil pressure drops to zero, when the engine rpm is above 1200 the pressure comes back and is steady.

The oil level is where it should be and the oil was changed a week ago.

Any thoughts on the cause?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is if this has just started since the oil change its possible that the oil filter could be the problem. Try a new filter and see if the trouble goes away.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You don't say how many miles, but if yours is like mine was, then try a heavier weight oil...say 10W30 or 15W40 and see if that helps. Your gauge sender could be bad, and if you are not seeing the low oil warning light coming on, that is a good thing, but your oil pressure could be very low due to wear in the engine. Try a heavier grade of oil and see if that does not make a difference. At 3000 RPM you should have no less than 30#, and if lower, chances are you would get a low oil light at idle....make sure your low oil pressure idiot light checks on at key on without the engine running.
HTH One guys opinion.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine has 233XXX miles on it. So yes I would expect some wear :)

I had an old Jeep with an AMC 360 it did the same thing, found out later the pressure was measured from the no#3 main bearing it was a little worn so it gave low pressure reading at the gauge. I installex an after market oil pressure gauge and it read fine all the time.

I know I'm going to have to replace the engine at some point, I'm trying to hold off until next year.

Thanks for the help everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.