Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some posts about noise from failing clutch throw-out bearings, I'd like to give my 2 cents to proper driving technique when driving a standard shift. I learned to drive a long time ago when automatic transmissions were in there infancy. I was tought to always shift to neutral and release the clutch when waiting at a light, or any time your stopped for an extended time with engine idleing. I tought my kids this when I tought them to drive. They learned in a standard shift VW. I never had a problem with a clutch release bearing being noisy, and I wore out a few clutches. My son bought a 1985 Trooper in the late 80's. I'm slowly restoring it. It has 270,000 miles on it with the original clutch and no throw-out bearing noise. Sitting at a light, holding the clutch pedal in puts wear on the release bearing over time that can be avoided.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yep, I was taught that too.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
yep....was taught that way too.

didn't make the throw out bearing's last any longer in our 99 chevy 6.0L vortec however....each clutch replacement in that truck was over $1,700 dollars...got rid of it after the first clutch, as the 2nd one started going out only 15k miles later.....figured if I was gonna spend that kind of money on a transmission, might as well have an automatic. Least I've never had to replace any of my automatics.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It not only wears on the throw out bearing but it also wears on the thrust bearing in the engine. Plus it wears on your left leg ;)

The stupid thing is that every driving school will teach you never sit in neutral in case you need to make a quick maneuver. But the kicker is your stuck behind the vehicle in front of you and cant move anyway if someone is going to rear end you.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
In most cases that's a good way to save on wearing out parts. But the late model stuff has a pull style release bearing. It's always spinning minde you with no load ,but that pour thing spins when ever the engine is running. That's a whole ton of revolutions in it's life time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts