Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 99 Passport, Automatic, 4X4 and could use some advice.

1. I am feeling a very slight hesitation at takeoff and the same type of feel at the very end of deceleration. It is almost like something is slighly engaging and disengaging. The tranny is not slipping. It is almost like the seats are on a very small pivot. One person on another user group suggested it may be an issue with the driveshaft? I could also describe it like I have something on the floorboard in the back rolling back and forth about an inch. It seems very mechanical. the driveshaft seems like the suspect..
2. How hard is it to change plugs?
3. Does the serpentine belt require a special tool to replace?
4. What can I REALLY expect for fuel mileage on the highway?
5. What can I do to improve the quality of the ride, rides like crap....
:evil:
Thanks for helping a newby.

·
Registered
327 Posts
99PassportMN said:
I just bought a 99 Passport, Automatic, 4X4 and could use some advice.

1. I am feeling a very slight hesitation at takeoff and the same type of feel at the very end of deceleration. It is almost like something is slighly engaging and disengaging. The tranny is not slipping. It is almost like the seats are on a very small pivot. One person on another user group suggested it may be an issue with the driveshaft? I could also describe it like I have something on the floorboard in the back rolling back and forth about an inch. It seems very mechanical. the driveshaft seems like the suspect..
2. How hard is it to change plugs?
3. Does the serpentine belt require a special tool to replace?
4. What can I REALLY expect for fuel mileage on the highway?
5. What can I do to improve the quality of the ride, rides like crap....
:evil:
Thanks for helping a newby.
Look here -> http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2332

·
Registered
591 Posts
1) Grease the slip yoke on the rear drive shaft.
2) Very easy, #6 takes a bit more time but still easy.
3) No!
4) 15-21mpg is typical
5) Monroe Sensa-tracs

G/luck!
Joel

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Doesn't sound like you are into off-roading, but if you are check out mwior.com

1. If the grease thing mentioned above doesn't work, have your motor mounts checked out, or possibly suspension bushings.
2. Very easy on these engines, the plugs are right up top and easy to reach.
3. Serpentine belt replacement just takes a socket wrench to take the tension off the tensioning arm, takes like two minutes (keep track of the belt route though!). A longer breaker bar make it even easier if you have one.
4. 'Zus are sturdily built, which = heavy, which = not the best gas mileage...still, no worse than similar SUVs.
5. Yep, shocks are the first suspect...the factory ones aren't much to start with, so if you have the originals, definitely replace them!

Let me know if you are interested in joining us off road sometime...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All done......went fine, no problems at all and it fixed the problem with the hesitation.

Serpentine belt was a breeze..

I did not buy the shocks yet, but I am going to pick some up. I looked really quickly when I was under there doesn't look like it will be too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.