Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lifted 1996 Rodeo 3.2L 4X4 (3") and I have the typical low RPM shudder. My question is instead of dumping my carrier bearing and cutting & flipping my cross member, then going to a one piece slip-yoke shaft, would adding a C/V (behind the carrier bearing) shaft (rear section) eliminate my problem? Need an answer soon. Seems like everyone with a mouth has a different opinion on this. Thanx!
T.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Are you talking about changing the pinion angle? If so, yes this should help with a binding driveline. But my real question is: How do you plan to do this? There is a right way and a wrong way.

By the way folks, what Toddz is talking about should NEVER be done on a solid front axle. Changing pinon angle on the front is very dangerous and can kill you, literally.

-Kevin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin-
Thank you for your prompt reply! I have already changed the pinion angle at the rear diff with pinion angle shims (4 degree)- but what I was trying to ask was, I guess, should I add a CV joint to the front end of the rear section of the shaft or simply have a CV driveshaft fabbed for the rear half of the shaft to defeat the shudder, OR :?: is getting rid of the whole mess and going with a one piece slip-member shaft the best way to cure this ???

Again-

Thank You for your Help, Toddz

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Well, personally I would go with a one piece shaft and a full pinion angle change on the diff (cutting and welding involved here), mainly because I'm "old school". Also, a one piece shaft generally balances better and is stronger in my experience. In terms of where to add the CV joint, my feeling is that you would be better off on the second (rear) half of the shaft. But don't take my word for it. I've never modified a 2 piece shaft.

Did you see the driveshaft armor in Peterson's a few months ago? A cool idea. Anyway, you might want to talk to a driveline expert concerning your truck. I think your ideas will work, but which one is best???? Good luck.

-Kevin

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep-
Definately not worth the hassle. Slapped in a new C/V driveline (after cutting cross-member, rotating pinion etc.) and got rid of my half-built flux capacitor(yuck-yuck)-and she's running smooooth as silk. Less parts=less sh*# to break!! Nuff Sed!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.