Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOD = Torque On Demand
SOF = Shift on the Fly
Each have a special controller and transfer case.
BLUF> Besides being massively more complex, is TOD really worth it?

I'm just asking for a friend... Has a '00 Trooper body, rigged for TOD (controller, dash), no engine, tranny, xfer case.
A donor transmission is available, but has the standard transfer case (i.e., SOF).
So, what's one to do....
A) Swap out transfer cases and run with the TOD crowd? or
B) Find an SOF controller, wire in, and live a simple life? ....

Here's the massively complex TOD:
Font Parallel Diagram Rectangle Schematic

Here's the infinitely simple SOF:
Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Slope

While we ponder the meaning of 'spoon', are there any opinions as to:
Is TOD worth it?
TIA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape

Ok, so maybe I'll look back and realize I was trying to push a rope on this one, but I've decided to "try" going SOF. Fingers crossed it is technically do-able, but my main reason is access. My salvage yard is like the wild west. I've got to hack my way in through weeds, trees, and mosquitos just to gain access to the donor. Propping the vehicle up on spare tires and laying in the dirt under it just to get to the Borg Warner TOD xfer case is sketchy on a good day. I could just buy one off eBay but $$$. Not right now.
The SOF standard xfer case 4WD controller is, on a '99 Trooper, from my research, either in the front console or between the gear selector and hand brake. Both cake to get to compared to the xfer case. Fingers crossed, packing up tools.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
SOF is just an electrically activated Transfer case. TOD t case has a clutch in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$10 and 47 mosquito bites later, 4WD controller in hand.
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Font Electronic engineering

1 - 5 of 5 Posts