Isuzu SUV Forum banner
161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I finished the body work “for real” today. It’s smooth and straight and ready for base coat in the morning. I finished things up with seam sealer. I brushed it on the seam at the back of the cab similarly to Chrysler. I also applied some over the backside of the welds. I’m expecting that it’ll keep moisture out of the welds, preventing any rust bubbles in the future.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
I went after the frame rust last night. Removed the tank, exhaust and crossmembers. The damage on the passenger (righthand) side is worse than it looked.

I also found that rust between the frame sections on the driver side is bulging the two apart. The metal on the passenger side rail is now a thin layer of steel which surrounds a thick layer of iron-oxide. The actual steel in this area is probably 1/32" of an inch thick.

So I think the next step is to support the front of the truck, remove the leaf springs and roll the rear axle out of the way. Then grind and drill the rivets holding the leaf-spring mounts and rear crossmember and separate the rear frame rails from the front. There are 16 rivets that will have to come out.

Once disassembled, clean up the contact area on all four sections of frame, weld in new patch panels as needed, and then put the whole thing back together with bolts.

But what do you guys think? Is this the right way to go or am I over complicating it?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I have the back frame separated from the front. Not yet lifted out of the way, but separated.

This is what fell out from between the frame rails on the passenger side, once I removed the front spring perch:

And this is a look between the frame rails on the driver-side. I'm glad I decided to do both sides.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
WOW! This thing is really becoming a project (You're doing excellent work by the way). Frame rust sucks. I have 3 trucks at work that I have condemned because of frame rust. One is a 2015 F150 and it only has 36K miles. Waiting for approval to send them to auction, but that's probably a month away. Dennis

161 - 167 of 167 Posts