Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any problems with their back doors freezing? (Rodeos) I can open them, but can't get them to close. :?

Where we live, we have really strong winds blowing off the mountain. The back door on the driver's side (the side getting the wind) will open, but when you go to close it, it just hits and pops back open (never happens to the driver's door though). I sprayed windex :shock: (could not find the de icer) on the metal loop and then it closed.

It happens on both the 95 and the 96.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't own a rodeo but on my 86 Trooper I had the same problem.

I sprayed WD-40 in the lock core, on all the linkage and on a simliar metal latch hoop. I do it a few times a year and have not had the problem since. Gets cold here in PA and frozen doors and locks suck.

Craig

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yah my doors freeze up. Seems the rear passenger door freezes first, then the others. When I was in Pennsylvania for Paragon in December, when I got up in morning, all doors except my drivers was frozen shut, my tailgate was frozen, my ebrake was frozen in the ON position, and my oil pressure gauge was wacked out and pegged.

I sprayed WD-40 in the lock core, on all the linkage and on a simliar metal latch hoop. I do it a few times a year and have not had the problem since.
Good idea, I gotta try that next winter

Mike
________
FIORANO CIRCUIT

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rodeo Guy said:
When I was in Pennsylvania for Paragon in December
Paragon is awsome, i go there 4-5 times a year! A litlle trick to preventing door freeze other thatn lubing up mechanics of door....Use non-stick cooking spray (PAM) on your door seals. It not only prevent freeze up, but it helps create a better seal. Better seal= quieter and less drafty.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We don't use our E brakes (automatics) at all in the winter due to the freezing.

The only doors that freeze are the back driver's sides-on both of them-which I think is odd being only that one.

The only other freezing we have is the back wiper. No big deal. Never tried the tailgate when it was nasty.

Never heard of the PAM on there. Like the idea of the seal-can't stand noise or air.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sgtboots-Milford is in the north east part of PA, right on the NJ/NY border and the Delaware river at the top of the Pocono region.

Forgot about the PAM trick, hot-rodders do it up here a lot to revive old seals that are impossible to find replacements for. My 86 has a few dry-rotted window seals that I know I won't be able to find replacements for.

PAM and a seal reviver from a good auto restoration company do wonders for old seals.

And finally Paragon AP rocks! In April I'm moving to Scranton PA, 1 hour north of the park and hopefully my girl and I will be there twice as much, looking at once every 2 weeks. Our SUVs, dirt bikes and the mtn.bikes are going to be hard hit up the next few years :D

Craig

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WB6- I have a general idea of where you are at and where you are going.

I am SW PA-8 miles from the West Virginia border.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have used wd40 sprayed into the key holes....never heard of using PAM on the rubbers but i have used generous amounts of armor all on them..other than that i hate armor all..hate the smell and feel of it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
DOH, forgot about Armor All as well. I guess anything that coats the seal and makes it glossy has got to repel water to some degree. Just as long as it can't damage the rubber. A soft, pliable seal = good. Hard, crusty, deteriorated seal = bad. Besides letting water in the door jamb, it causes that stupid, annoying whistle....had it for 6 months until I took the truck off the road for the build up and motor swap. The faster I drove the louder it got resulting in me turning up the radio to drown it out. My truck gave passengers quite an interesting commute to college each morning :roll: .

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.