Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this rig for about 8 yrs. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of Pic's of the places I've taken it, at least not with the truck in the pic. My daughter called it Suzy and it stuck. I just recently started doing some serious work on it, joined the Planet, and started taking more pictures to share.
At 187K miles I decided the engine needed to be freshened up and have all the oil leaks fixed. So I accumulated the parts I thought I'd need and dove in.

(Click the image to view larger)

Getting started

Engine Out!

As I tore it down, I tried to keep it in order. This means lots of parts laid out on the garage floor!

When I took the bottom end apart, there was a bad scuff in the #4 cylinder wall. So much for the plan to just rering it.

So, it was off to the machine shop.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few days later, the machine shop called and it was ready.

Bored and honed block, Main align and deck checked, Hot tanked and new expansion plugs installed. Nice.

Head hot tanked and shaved, valves cut (oops, exhaust valves too thin - new exhaust valves)
Shiney!

and new slugs to fit the bigger holes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was time to put it all back together. Gotta make it pretty, Black and yellow - it's gonna look like a Bumble Bee.

Bottom end first.

Got the pan looking good. Clear coat on the aluminum really brightens it up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now the top end.

New water pump and timing set

Port matched the head to the manifolds and smoothed out the wrinkles.

I took my time cleaning and painting each part. The valve cover took the longest.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took a break and stopped by the bone yard. I made a nice find, a heater core to replace my leaky one. $12!
If I read the date code right, this was just put in last year.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of pics of the outside.

Clean engine bay

I got the transmission cleaned and put new seals on the inut and output shafts.

Then I put the clutch and T/O bearing together.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't real excited about having to stuff the transmission back in by myself. So, I decided to try dropping the engine and trans in as an assembly. It looked like plenty of room, so I gave it a shot.

Easy does it!

A little more......

Ahh! Hung up on the motor mount.

A little help from the floor jack.

There she goes!

Yep, just like that.

And a little while later.... Voila!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, with the hard part done, I really needed a new lower shifter boot (you know the one) Mine was in ribbons and I was really stuggling with the price of the new one.
I got to thinking, back when I was a counterman for a auto parts chain, we stocked a universal boot for a rack and pinion that just might work with a little modification.
I checked and sure enough they still stock it. $14.99 @ AZ

A little trim. I decided to try half of the original length. Note that there is a big end and a small end. It's the small end you want. Don't worry, it will expand plenty to slide over the shifter shaft.

Looks like a workable fit!

Some lube for the shifter goes a long way.

Slide it on.

It was a little tricky to get the boot stretched over the retainer plate, but not too bad.

and there you have it!

Too early to tell what longevity will be like, but so far so good and the price was definitely right :D
*** Update - The longevity was not great. After 2 years I looked at again and found it was trashed. I don't know how long it had been bad at that point. If I were to do this again, I would be looking for a boot made of silicone Maybe a shock boot?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D wow cool great job. 8) recon

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Fantastic job. Something to be super proud of. Those pics will benefit other members as well.

Welcome to the forum,
shooter

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Metal88 said:
looking good!! are you gona paint the body?
I've been thinking about painting it , but nothing fancy. Right now the original paint still looks pretty good and I don't have to worry about scratching it. Nothing like getting a brand new paint job then taking it to the hills and covering the sides with "cowboy pinstripes"
Maybe someday.........John Deere yellow 8)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to lose my freakin' mind if I didn't get out of the house today and I needed to put some miles on the fresh engine. So, I deciced a drive up Ogden canyon was in order. I visited a couple of the local reserviors and threw some lures.

At Causey Res.

The fish wouldn't cooperate (it's like they don't want to die...... Go figure :? ) So I drove down the highway a little to Pineview Res.

It was just a short drive with no 4X action, but the weather was gorgeous and a little cooler than home. All in all a good day.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nfpgasmask said:
Pretty sweet Trooper you got there. I enjoyed the rebuild pics. Its just a good feeling to have it all done, eh?
Bart
Yeah, I suppose it's never really "done" though. I have a box full of tie rods in the garage and and 2 sets of mag wheels waiting on tires. but I'm going to take a short break from the wrench and just drive it for a week or two. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went for a little drive again the other day (been doing a lot of that lately)

Varmint control was in order!

Saw an Elk on the way back. Very unusual to see them mid-day this time of year!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a few from a daytrip me and my boy took last summer.

10769 Ft!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And from Last month (Jan) on the Transcontinental Railroad Trail in Northwestern Utah.

Dawn in the west desert.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Very nice

1 - 20 of 85 Posts