Isuzu SUV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
A very late update on the rear axle build for those that are following!
And in the middle of all this - I bought a house and moved!
Been busy as heck lately.

As of few weeks ago I have a rolling truck on Jeep and Toyota axles!

The land cruiser rear end I first picked up and cut and ground on was bent! Like too much to straighten and make it worthwhile.
We didn't find out it was bent until the rear end was fully built and loaded on the lift.
So I had to go to another yard, pick up another rear axle and do the same cutting and grinding all over again.
Fun! :twisted: Not!

Anyhow at least its a third member drop out and I didn't have to pay twice to get the gears reset.
So the plan was in full effect. ARB air locker and 5.29 gears.
I even got the front OX locker fixed when it was regeared to 5.36.
Turns out it was missing a spring pack to push the shift fork back off when disengaged. Needed preload to get the fork off. I had to keep pulling the cable to disengage the OX after I used it and even then it would slip back 'on' and I just gave up at times and just unlocked one hub and three wheeled.

The 5.29's are a BIG difference on the road and 5th gear isn't useless anymore but with 37's everything is tough to get moving.
So jumping from 4.56 to 5.29 was a good move but I won't really notice it until I go offroad and crawl.

I took off on Holiday the week after I got it back to go on vacation in Costa RIca and man are they spoiled with some nice trucks.
Toyotas and Isuzus everywhere!
Off topic but I'd love to bring a Hilux back here or a Dmax. Spoiled I tell you and everything has a snorkle on it. But they have enough river crossings to need it!

Back on track....
So I have a few things to solve. Going to need a hybrid rear driveshaft. Isuzu flange with a double cardan to slip to Toyota flange is going to be the plan.
We temporarily solved the 'connection' to the rear flange by Chris machining a center puck to make up the flange offset bolt holes.
Also have to solve the correct pinion angle once I get a shaft made and line the trackbar back up. Its a little offset right now but as Chris would say, we're chasing our tails until we get the driveshaft done.
I'll take some pics of the track bar and load them up soon.

I have a few pics of the handywork but I'm soooo looking forward to getting back offroad again.
Anyone want to go wheeling in August!?
I been too busy to look at all whats happening so holler!

Here is after I picked up the first axle.
Look at all those brackets I have to cut off!!

Me cutting on it and cleaning it up.

Fun knocking the cone washers out with a BFH.

Set new bearings, races and seals in the hubs.
Smart tip here - Use the rotors as a Jig to hold stuff still.

Rented a punch - not something I do all the time warrant enough to buy one. Plus they give you all the right sizes and there is no room for error. You can score a race in a hub and F it all to hell if you do it wrong.

and here we go!

And time to get another one - damn thing is bent.
Cut cut and grind grind...
Oh and my girlfriend gave me her tools when we moved in together. I have no idea how or why she has a sawzall but now its mine! LOL

sucks but gotta get it done - AGAIN.
At least I have spare axle shafts!

Upgraded the brakes to drilled and slotted.
Put new calipers on it and the inner drums were good, just used the best hardware from the two axles.

Hard to take a pic of how the parking brake works.
The Yota rear has a hard line that goes to one cable and splits on the axle tube to either backing plate on the outers. The Isuzu has two cables that go out to both plates so it wasn't totally reusable and I wanted a parking brake.
Chris made a pretty ingenious device to combine both cables together in a 'clamp' so that we didn't have to find a totally custom solution for the parking brakes.
YOu can almost make out the bracket and how the two cables come together to one in the device he machined.
I almost have it dialed in perfect. Need to tighten up the cable up front on the pull handle next.

And for shidst and giggles, here is a hilux
I saw plenty of these in Costa RIca and a Dmax - saw a bunch of these too!
Man I want one!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
That same axle upgrade is on my list too. I will need to shorten the long side down to be the same as the short side, because or the Trooper track width. The full float and the lower gears are key.

Costa Rica has some neat vehicles. I like all the Japanese micro-bus type things.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Lots of phone calls to Yota guys I know and searches on car part.com

Most of the time the fronts are stripped of their outers or the pumpkin is robbed or both.

There aren't many around so snatch em up if you have plans.
Or buy them stripped and build it up

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Good question.
The axle was actually bent forward on the long side because most likely it was hit in the rear and just Difficult to eyeball it being 'off' when I picked it up
There are weld plates on top and bottom.
I think I'll be fine tho. I'm not that heavy compared to some other rigs.
Plus most truss is built for 4 link setups.
I'll talk to chris about it one day if needed. (My fab guy)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Lots of hours of dirty work documented here. Hats off to ya!

I may try to get one more trip in before the baby comes mid Aug, but more than likely it'll be Fall before I can get back out there. Get her dialed in and let's plan for a SHOP/DPG trip at some point when the weather is cooler - I haven't been to either spot yet.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Aww come on man! You were here and didn´t let us know? That´s 2 planet members (chuffer) that have come to CR in the past couple of weeks. We could have taken you on a ride with our Costarican Isuzu group for you to ride in diesel troopers, diesel rodeos and dmax´s, or just a meet and greet somewhere for a couple of hours.

Anyway, awesome work on the rear axle! That Rodeo is a beast! can´t wait for more pictures :thumbright:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
bradzuzu said:
I would love to have a full-floating axle , the 44 outboards are cheap poo !!

How ya been brother !!
Go find us a pair of FZJ80 axles at your secret Toyota stash...yes, I am stalking you today...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Paul:
yeah man way overdue and we need to get a ride in.
Too bad I wasn't ready for your Red Label grappler Tire run

Beto:
Sent you a PM and thanks! Most def will hit you next time I visit CR.
I love your country. My second time there.

Brad:
yeah man last time we chatted I was with Ian and doing his 4lo Revo gear install in Louisville.
Oh man that was fun. Really enjoyed time wrenching with another Zoo head.
Ian is a great guy.
Hope to make it west one day to see you too brother.

Chuffer:
Good luck on your idea.
I heard of CJ guys doing similar and that way they only have to worry about the short shaft sides for spares. But you have to taper down to the exact width or your screwed to the hub.
Its not impossible. I saw a thread on Pirate on how to do it with FF and with SF outers.

And update for today.
I picked my modified hybrid driveshaft this morning.
Toyota end towards the pinion and the isuzu flange on the other going to the Tcase output.

Gonna bolt it up and see how it does!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Here's a good pic of the antiwrap bar Chris made.
I pulled the shims out the leaves and bolted the axle back on the springs.
Drives great. Little stiffer but you get used to it.
Amazing how much body roll on takeoff I used to have and now I have none.
Can't imagine how much that hogshead was flopping back there stressing the joints.

another weekend or two on the truck and a little more progress.
Got the driveshaft back and wasn't that impressed.
The length with all four tires flat has the splines showing on the slip. They didn't get the length just right.
However the toyota joint also doesn't look like its gonna hold up if I flex any.
It looks like its kissing there but its not. It doesn't have that much angle though, so I'm onto something better at Oliver's in Winston.

Now onto the good part.
I've been tearing my truck apart to find a good spot for the ARB compressor.
I was this close to putting it in the rear tailgate, no Joke!
There is a ton of dead space behind where the tire latches.
But the depth isn't enough room for the solenoid and the connector to be hidden. They both would stick out through a cutout.
So I opted to pull the barely ever used anymore bottle jack and test fit the compressor. Fits great!

There's a lot dust back there so after pulled the bracket out, I taped up the gaps and holes.
I'm thinking about putting in the air line extension for the air filter but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
The plan is use the original cover with the latch but protect the solenoid and connector - eventually.

Pulled the carpet back and decided to use the same hole we cut for the fuel pump as the air line access to the axle.

I ran the cables all the way to the front up the side and unscrewed unbolted every panel and carpet along the way to make sure I have enough room. Its a tight fit to the console but just enough
A long time ago, a friend said to me I should use the dead trans switches in the second gen console for locker switches. Man was he Nostradamus.

Ignore the block of wood. That is how I bolted the console to the truck.
But I did find an unused connector that I got my test light out and found the dimmer and power wires. Score!
Cut and tied into and taped them up done! Curious what it was for. Perhaps the shifter for the automatic??

I tested everything before committing fully to the location and once I heard the compressor kick on, I knew we were in business.
Now back to the back and to tie the cables down, secure the compressor and put the carpet and panels back and tape down the air line.

I noticed an oval plastic cover below in the corner that actually has a cavity that you can access from inside and decided to run my CB antenna through it. No more through the tail gate cable.

Here is the finished piece. I'm stoked and can't wait to get to wheeling again.

Only a few small issues to fix
The dimmer is backwards to the dash and there's a small leak but I'm sure I'll fix both of those issues soon.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Great job man, that compressor install and switches turned out awesome. It´s giving me some ideas for my viar compressor install I need to try out.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
And the build never ends.

Got my shaft from Olivers. Was 4 lbs lighter than my interim drive shaft and after I installed it, rode way better. Less vibration all around except still had vibe in 3rd gear around 35-40 but not bad at all.
Had to order a new flange to fit the older style LC bolt pattern and decided to go with the double drilled pinion flange from CruiserOutfitters. As usual I was cutting it close to getting everything together before the trip to Harlan but everything arrived a day or two before and I worked all evening to get the truck prepped and ready to roll.
I should take another pic of the stock companion flange end. The stock Land Cruiser joints and flange combination is limited to like 20 degrees whereas I can get over 30 with the upgraded end still using 1310 joints at both ends. Needed the extra wiggle room because the rear is offset and the angle from output to pinion. I guarantee I would have snapped the joints or busted the yokes on the stock interim shaft if I flexed the rear even just a little. It was waaaay too close to touching yoke C's sitting on level ground.

In the pic out of the box below, the slip female end is from the Isuzu and the male end is retubed 180 wall going to an upgraded companion flange that has the older style LC bolt pattern.

Well, I drove up to Harlan, wheeled it and drove home.
No joke!
We rode pinball, fish fossil, rail bed, killing time, did the lower (or was it middle) rock garden and ran Mason jar with the big rigs too.

No issues except all the axle flange studs in the rear shook loose and one broke. Didn't find out until I was spraying the truck off and about to head home. These are the OEM studs and done some research on Yota forums that the short side tends to get loose on just about all the offset rears. I'm guessing there is less torsional flex in the shorter side and read more often those tend to shear dowel pins and studs more than the long side. Time to upgrade!

Ive read about drilling them out and putting in hex cap screws with washers and drilling out for larger dowel pins but I've decided to upgrade to the super metal kit and we'll see how far that gets us!
I'm not running V8 power so hope it lasts.

Overall super happy with how the Isuzu performed on the trails. Chris did an amazing job up front and in the rear. Now time for a winch and bumper.

here is a few random shots of the ride.
You can check out the whole album here

Here is a windshield pic from Trey's rig of me headed up Mason Jar.
Go youtube search for some other videos of Mason Jar to see how big those rocks really are.
Was a blast to hit the hard stuff!

love still having a tailgate!
Lunch!

rode everything the big rigs ran:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Looks like a badass rig doing some sweet trails! I wanna go sometime.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looks like good trip.

Man, I wish I had a tailgate...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·

·
Registered
344 Posts
I actually started my SAS shortly after you finished up your build... I definitely used your steering pictures to check some of my work.

The guys with the modified rigs (you, Brad, Paul, Jonesy, and others) inspired me to get all that SAS work done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of fj80 axles front and rear on my Rodeo Sport(Amigo)... Did you have to change out the master cylinder to accomodate the giant calipers? I've been trying to find bore sizes etc to compare...that's Not easily found...
If I missed it I apologize...

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That looked like a fun trip !! Lots of challenging obstacles and climbs .. How do you like the low range , is it low enough ?
Guess I don't know what your butt gears are (ratio wise) yeah I said butt !! :)

161 - 180 of 221 Posts