Isuzu SUV Forum banner
141 - 160 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Lorenzo! :D Well done sir! I am really looking forward to meeting you and seeing this beast first hand.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
I've done a little bit of work to the truck in the past two months.
Got the right side hub 'shimmed' up with these:
http://www.ingallseng.com/26126-6-bolt- ... -shim.html

Put my tires back at a matching angle on both sides. I was extremely positive on the right like this, if it makes sense: | / now both are as close to this as I can get it: | |
Here are a few pics of the shim job.

Also put some 4 degree shims in the rear. I should go back to Chris and get him to move the perches but this will do for now.
I had to move the pinion down because the aussie in the rear was rattling when I'd coast or let off or on of the gas. Not cool.
Didn't match the output angle on the trans either. To be completely fair, I did swap trans and we had no idea at the angle that the AR5 was gonna be out at.

Also, not too long ago, I noticed that when I was on and off the brakes that I could feel a shifting up front and a clunk sound.
Turns out I busted a lower link on the driver side. Got another from Chris and swapped it out before my last wheelin trip... the one that involved a monkey, towing a CJ home, blowing my fuel pump and even a delorean. Ya no joke. Long story. :D

I also added a horn to my current annoying Barbie Isuzu horn. Hate how our horns sound soooo wimpy!!
I yanked this from am old 5 series BMW in the yard awhile back and just tapped the line to the current one:
I like how it sounds, kinda duotone sounding.
Its the lower one - if you can't tell.

If I catch up with you guys in Uwharrie, I'll share my monkey story.
Y'all know Poser Rock, well had to get up it and go under for a shot!

·
Registered
523 Posts
anymore updates?

How are things working out for you? What is your frame height on this thing? Say, right below the B pillar? Just curious how tall it is compared to my truck.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Jonesy said:
anymore updates?

How are things working out for you? What is your frame height on this thing? Say, right below the B pillar? Just curious how tall it is compared to my truck.
Floor to bottom of the frame right below the B-pillar is just about 26 1/2" at street tire pressure.
There is a body mount there if you want to compare locations.
My truss cradling the trans lowest point is 23"
Other than that, the only thing I have hanging "down" are the drive shafts.
I admire how 'flat' it is underneath.

Looking at a trip to KY here in July.
I'll post up pics as things happen.
8)

·
Registered
523 Posts
How did the trip to Kentucky go? Any updates?

How are things holding up? Were you ever able to figure out valving? It appears you have Fox shocks, which is what I have...and up front I seem to feel a harshness with my custom valving....when I hit a cut out in the road (manhole cover, small pothole, etc) where if feels like the shock is bottomed out even though there is 3" of shaft showing. I wonder if the compression valving is too much and it can't cycle well enough for onroad.

Also, still running 200/250 springs? How much preload do you have? How much shaft is showing (up travel)?

I'm still trying to dial mine in, and you are the only coil over Isuzu I know of to compare to

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Man my buddy obviously aint my buddy now,
We planned to go to KY and I was packed up then he flaked.
Anyhow

Even when backing out of my driveway, the front feels harsh when it meets the pavement from the dip if I am moving even relatively fast, Not sure if its the valving or the spring rates.
Wheeling everything feels fine though. Big Chris told me how they measure spring rate and I forget now the specifics but I'll ask.
I'll drop by the shop one day and get the details. I forget now if I am stiff then soft or vice versa for the two springs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
lorenzo816 said:
Even when backing out of my driveway, the front feels harsh when it meets the pavement from the dip if I am moving even relatively fast, Not sure if its the valving or the spring rates.
Wheeling everything feels fine though. Big Chris told me how they measure spring rate and I forget now the specifics but I'll ask.
I'll drop by the shop one day and get the details. I forget now if I am stiff then soft or vice versa for the two springs.
Very interesting that you mention this....I had the EXACT same feeling with mine after changing to 225/225 springs (from 225/300) The front would be jarring when hitting potholes or manhole covers...or any "sudden" hole/bump. I pulled it into the shop this weekend thinking it was valving or too light a spring rate....but I found that my 2 front body mounts (under the corner lights) were gone...the passenger side rubber between the frame mount and body was completely gone, and the driver side was rotted away that it was just about detached from the sleeve. I found some stock bumpstop material that we had laying around form some truck that was close to the size...then cut it down to fit. Put new sleeves in the lower body mount and new hardware and the harshness is gone. You may want to check those. I think the rock crawling is slow enough that maybe the body isn't contacting the frame....but on the slightly faster hits it's smashing it pretty good.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
I don't think I have ever bottomed out up front. I do need some bump stops though.
its hard to get full range of motion doing less than 10 mph unless yours are really soft top and bottom.
I'm not bombing through the woods either. So before I get into something that would cause me to 'shock' cycle all the way down, I need to think about my approach.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd check the body mounts.....I was surprised how harsh it made the ride feel with those gone...and how much better it is now that I have new ones in place.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I have a 1 inch body lift so you are probably correct, I could check the torque on the body bolts all the way around and probably fix the issue.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Hey Jonesy, I noticed the other day while under my fenders that the lb rate on the springs are printed on them. Stupid me!
I think it said 250 lower and 200 or 150 (ICR right now) on the upper.
BTW, I did tighten up all the BMs and the harshness has improved. You may have been right there.

Oh and one more super cool update.
I followed along with Paul's super awesome Blem deal on the interco birddogs.
Bad asss deal at a great cost. So I'm not worried about beadlocks no more!
Fixed my spacing issue now too. I'm only 2" wider now in the front than the rear. Almost perfect.

I was running 14 psi all weekend last time we went out and I'm thinking I could go lower and not care but don't want to lose the height.
Now, only to find someone to buy those nissan supercharged 17" rims. Any takers? I'll make a deal!

oh and trick or treat came early for me.
I picked this up earlier in October.
It will probably sit around until I have the time and money to swap but you damn right, its a full float FJ80 rear end with center drop out, disc brakes and perfect 63" wms to match with my front.
I'll be full float one day fo sho!

The plan is to cut all that mess off and get a 'real' CV shaft for the rear output of the driveline since its offset to the passenger side a little.
Or I could scrap the housing, keep the outer brackets, sell the shafts, triangulate the suspension and well I still have to regear the front and rear to match eventually. May go detroit at that point or just leave it open. Haven't decided yet.
Either way, we're talking thousands here... $$$
At least I got an axle for a good deal. They are hard to find around here.
Could just be a pipe dream and the truck takes a poop one day.
:wink: :bigsmurf:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Oh and one more thing, since not everyone is on the Uwharrie threads.
Our kids got to meet up!
When Ruby met... Blue?
Sorry guys I don't have a nickname for my truck! Maybe you can help with that.

One day they'll get to play together but it was super cool meeting Paul for the first time.
Nice guy and lots of plans for ol' Ruby. He was leaving Big Creek as I was getting back to camp that weekend but we're so close to eachother I'm sure we'll catch up again and go wheel one day!

·
Registered
523 Posts
lorenzo816 said:
Hey Jonesy, I noticed the other day while under my fenders that the lb rate on the springs are printed on them. Stupid me!
I think it said 250 lower and 200 or 150 (ICR right now) on the upper.
BTW, I did tighten up all the BMs and the harshness has improved. You may have been right there.

Oh and one more super cool update.
I followed along with Paul's super awesome Blem deal on the interco birddogs.
Bad asss deal at a great cost. So I'm not worried about beadlocks no more!
Fixed my spacing issue now too. I'm only 2" wider now in the front than the rear. Almost perfect.

I was running 14 psi all weekend last time we went out and I'm thinking I could go lower and not care but don't want to lose the height.
Now, only to find someone to buy those nissan supercharged 17" rims. Any takers? I'll make a deal!

oh and trick or treat came early for me.
I picked this up earlier in October.
It will probably sit around until I have the time and money to swap but you damn right, its a full float FJ80 rear end with center drop out, disc brakes and perfect 63" wms to match with my front.
I'll be full float one day fo sho!

The plan is to cut all that mess off and get a 'real' CV shaft for the rear output of the driveline since its offset to the passenger side a little.
Or I could scrap the housing, keep the outer brackets, sell the shafts, triangulate the suspension and well I still have to regear the front and rear to match eventually. May go detroit at that point or just leave it open. Haven't decided yet.
Either way, we're talking thousands here... $$$
At least I got an axle for a good deal. They are hard to find around here.
Could just be a pipe dream and the truck takes a poop one day.
:wink: :bigsmurf:
Looks good with the wheels.

Those rates are similar to what I'm running...and I need to go stiffer on the lower...which means reducing the upper. Right now I'm running 225/225...while this puts my height where I want it...it's a little floppy on turns (of course, no front sway bar doesn't help) i'll likely end up at 175/300 or 175/275. I need a little more stiffness on the main spring.

On the axle, can you get gears to match your front? I believe the FJ80 axle has 5.29's available....so I assume just running 5.38's in the front? Nice find though....I actually thought about swapping in both front/rear axles out of an FZJ80 before I came across this truck.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
I don't have a sway bar either but I think it turns great. Maybe I'm used to the roll enough to where I can take a corner the same rate of speed I can my audi. (not speeding - just not slowing down more than my car... if that makes sense)
It does pitch but not like out of control wobbly or scarey or nothing like that. It just pitches and I turn like its on rails. lol

With the gear ratios - That is the plan.
5.29 and 5.38 is only like a 1-2% difference which IIRC is in the allowed variance range for 4x4 gear 'matching'.
I totally forgot about the pumpkin being offset though on this 80 rear. For some reason, I thought Toyota switched to center in the 80 series but it looks like that wasn't until the 100 series (or never?)
I have a friend running an offset drive train to a toyota mini truck axle and he says it does fine 45mph and what not but I'm not sure of how steep his shaft angle is compared to mine.
Its a samurai so it may be not as steep.
Anyhow, I haven't run the numbers yet on just getting a housing built and buying shafts and studs versus getting an RCV ball/race combo mod'd on the tcase end of my current driveshaft. Would make for a bitch for spares. But was thinking costs would be about the same getting a housing considering how much those RCV are. I'm not gonna tackle this job for awhile. Its gonna collect some dust for a bit before I ever get started on it.
did a little searching.... hmnnnn http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/trans ... -solution/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general- ... hafts.html

141 - 160 of 221 Posts