Isuzu SUV Forum banner
121 - 140 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
more Progress!
Gone in the shop for new clutch and rear main seal.

the MUA5 trans and case coming out

And believe it or not, it fits in my garage with an inch to spare. No air out of my tires either.
Wanted to figure that out before we get any more damn hail storms.

Planning on changing shocks in the rear and putting slightly shorter shackles in.
Going back to Chris's shop soon!

Excited, haven't been wheelin since last May.
Stoked to get this thing back into 4wd.
Some one has to have a Revo gear set I can get.... keep an eye out fellas.
THanks

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Its not,
Its the Gear case from the Auto 4L30's Troopers.
Better option than the chain drive that is found on the AR5 for those years.
The auto Tcase bolts right up to the AR5 5-speed

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Looks like Chris and I's measurements were spot on.
The sticks come out the same spot around 24" back from the bell.

The bottom view without the case or cross member on it yet.
Slave cylinder bolt right up

Tcase is in the trunk and a new cross member needs fab'd up.
Need to get shaft made for the front, and the rear re-tubed.
Stoked!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That's awesome !! I do have a couple of auto cases sitting around :)

I'm lookin forward to seeing it on the road/trail bud !!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Excited now.
So Chris managed to put together my spare rear two piece shaft and make a single shaft with minor changes.
Using a Toyota rear yoke and a 'washer' cut from the burn table and two new holes, the shaft was a perfect fit. Talk about dumb luck.
So if I need to make a spare I can grab a rear isuzu shaft, trash the center carrier section then go find a rear yoke on a rear Yota shaft.

We're at 39-40 degrees at full droop up front!

The cross member for the trans bracket couldn't be reused on both sides because the new position is about 5" further back and the front link has to cycle up/down.
So Chris moved it back to where the torsion bars used to bolt in and then ran a bar up to the passenger side mount: Genius! Simple is better!

Can't wait to get this on the trail.

Getting rear shaft made with thicker wall.
Got new rear shocks coming.
Going to change out shackles and bushings at some point and few minor other things.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Sorry day behind but all done and went over to Chris' shop and got my test drive in.
Clutch needs be bled but I swear the AR5 trans shifts better than my old MUA5.

I bolted the tcase stick in and locked the hubs then proceeded to drive around testing 4hi and 4lo.
Since we still had the cover and rubber off the shifters, it was kinda nice to be able to check the front shaft as it spun.

Now I FINALLY have 4wd. Its been a year since I touched dirt.
Gonna have to head out soon to get a real test in.

I need a good spotter since I am so used to the rear doing all the work, when I was IFS on 34's.
Last thing I am waiting on is the shifter mechanism from OX. I don't think I got it or I lost it.

Check out the sticks now. I switched shifter balls back to my originals. Amazing how I lucked out, not having to cut floor to fit.
They are a few inches taller since the Trooper was a high seat and low floor kind of setup, like a Disco or Prado is. I will have to get used to it.

And the rear shaft from Superior.

Its time to get back out in the woods.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Drove it a few times but took about 6 days off because I've been busy as heck!
Plus the clutch needed to be bled. I needed my helper for that.
Bled it saturday with my son and the test drive confirms that the transmission is good!
Shifts a little better than my old MUa5, Reverse is a little whiney but I guess that is how those AR5s are.
Anyone want to chime in here and give me their experience with the 5 speed AR5 reverse whine?

While I was at it, I had to redo my booster push rod adjuster.
Damn brake lights were sticking on because the plunger on the sensor wasn't getting tapped all the way.
:? Spent way too much time under the dash and steering column, fixing that.
Didn't have enough time to finish the install of my OX shifter.

I still need to get my parking brakes changed out but I did get one thing done!
Tapped the reverse switch on the AR5. You need a reverse light!
I confirmed which plug it was and spliced it, then got some quick connects and wired into the wiring harness in my truck.
Looks like I got it right the first try!

Confirmed with Jerry that the first two plugs are dummy upshift lights for the dash.
The MUA5 has the reverse switch light plug on the left so I had to add some wire.
Cut an air hose and wrapped the wire job up when I was done to keep them ensulated and protected.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
lorenzo816 said:
Anyone want to chime in here and give me their experience with the 5 speed AR5 reverse whine?
Can confirm, mine is one whiny sob in R. Get that thing on the trails asap.

Reactions: lorenzo816

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Sorry for the late posts, but been very busy!
I got it out on the trails last last weekend at a private place in the mountains of NC.

Man I went over stuff I have been dying to climb but couldn't do back when I only had a locked rear and 34" LTBs.
Damn truck did good and with the locker up front, I climbed some pretty gnarly and steep trails with ease.
I had to get winched once because I was double hung up on some muddy rocks. Both the front and rear tires had boulders in front that I couldn't get over.
I was close once but slid sideways. Damn it! :evil:
Anyhow here is some pics from the trail ride and also a few flexed out at a local 4x4 meetup.
(my shocks in the rear don't have much travel so the rear didn't squat like it could with those Dakar springs. We'll fix that later!)
The album link is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/lorenzo816/TheFlats

and

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Looks good, dude! I need some 4lo therapy myself. I bet that was a good time.

I may take my trooper to your bud's shop eventually for some work. More than likely I'm moving out to the other side of Charlotte this year, and I'm not sure if I'll have my garage set up to do much of the serious work I want to do for a while.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Brad, yea man I need lower TCase gears and that's next, then bead locks.
Don't think I need cromos just yet.

Paul, did you buy Ruby?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yup, actually have it over at East Coast gear supply getting a few things done while I'm away for work. One is the front driveshaft is being replaced by an Oliver's unit, and from what they said the guy knows exactly what I need from doing another Isuzu recently, probably referring to yours.

edit - meant to ask: do you have a functioning ebrake? I have got to rig something up on mine. I have the cables coming off the brakes but they are just zip tied up out of the way, connected to nothing.

121 - 140 of 221 Posts