Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 Trooper LS with no engine & transmission, straight body and clean interior.

1978 Unimog U404 diesel....

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I'd take the Unimog. Dennis

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,167 Posts
Had to google Unimog. Did say it has a 2.2 with the manual being 6 speed. Will the HP be enough for the heavier Trooper? The 6 speed looks to be really useful. Will follow along this one.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to google Unimog. Did say it has a 2.2 with the manual being 6 speed. Will the HP be enough for the heavier Trooper? The 6 speed looks to be really useful. Will follow along this one.
5.7L straight 6 diesel. 13 forward gears and 4 reverse gears

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
13 forward and 4 reverse. Sounds almost like my old Rover with the 4 speed box and Fairey 2 speed overdrive.
Unimog: I mainly knew about them from the Matchbox one when I was a kid (Harry is a bit older than I). From being involved with Coot ATVs and Land Rovers, there were a few in those groups who had or spoke of Unimogs. Dennis

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,167 Posts
5.7L straight 6 diesel. 13 forward gears and 4 reverse gears
So much for google. That will be an amazing swap. A member (Xenon213) back in 2013 put a 300 mercedes diesel in his Gen. 2 Amigo or rodeo sport. His biggest problem was moving the firewall as I recall. This link may take you back to where he started the swap. And by the way it turned out great. He eventually sold it and isn't an active poster anymore.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So much for google. That will be an amazing swap. A member (Xenon213) back in 2013 put a 300 mercedes diesel in his Gen. 2 Amigo or rodeo sport. His biggest problem was moving the firewall as I recall. This link may take you back to where he started the swap. And by the way it turned out great. He eventually sold it and isn't an active poster anymore.

I see dropping Trooper body on the Unimog frame. This would keep the 44" tires, 17 gear transmission, power train, PTO, air systems, torque tube suspension system and most importantly the locking portal style axles... thus retaining the superior off road capability of the unimog & the comfort of the trooper cabin.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I still have to ask. Is there something so wrong with the Unimog body? They're so unique. Dennis

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have to ask. Is there something so wrong with the Unimog body? They're so unique. Dennis
There is nothing wrong with the Unimog. I have 4 boys and need more than 2 seats. I also have no use for the 4 way dump bed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
So put 2 milk crates in the bed with some rope to hold to :p Then you use bed no problem and have 2 more seats

1 - 12 of 12 Posts