Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello I'm writing this thread to inform everyone of how easy it is so source the parts for their HD Tie rods! These can be put together for as little as $45-50

Credit goes to geoffinbc for coming up with this information, I am just posting it here

FB_IMG_1460967904412.jpg

FB_IMG_1460967909835.jpg

First off there is 3 main differences in track width of our Isuzu's!

Narrow Track
First gen troopers
91-95.5 Rodeos(95.5 with a 4 bolt upper ball joint)
All first gen Amigos

Medium Track
92-94 Troopers
96-97 Rodeos

Wide Track
95-2002 Troopers

Second gen rodeos and amigos have rack and pinion steering that is not compatible

Okay so now you know your track width, now time to order some parts!

The ends are the same for each track width, they come from a 1997-2003 Ford f-150 4x4. Part numbers are es3369t and es3370t you will need 2 of each.

You will also need to use 1 14mm(9/16ths) washer, and one same size lock washer on each end link taper. 4 washer, and 4 lock washers total. They can be found at any hardware store or online.

Narrow track: The center sleeve is from a 94-97 Dodge intrepid part number Es3201s you need 2
You will also need to cut about 1 and 1/8th of an inch off each end so they will be short enough to fit in the sleeve

Medium Track: You use this center sleeve from the Ford F-150 part number Es3368s
No cutting needed ends should thread in almost all the way. You need 2

Wide Track use the same center sleeve as medium Es3368s. You will have lots of threads sticking out on either end you need 2

There you have it, no need to buy from anyone else or Indy you can simply order from Rock auto, or Amazon

Narrow track sleeve(need 2)
https://www.amazon.com/dpGC/B000C55WOM/ ... fxbP02Y4GC

Medium/Wide Track sleeve (need 2)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C57W40/re ... fxbKGM9YZY

You can check rock auto they are usually cheaper, I also found the short center sleeve for $6 local so check there too. Good luck all

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Also worth noting that, for 2nd gen Troopers, other countries got the wide track later than the US. I know this is true for Australia, for example.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I was actually thinking about doing a post like this based your thread Geoff. The information is all there just scattered across 3 pages. At least he didn't make an ad for the Classified section stating he did all the work.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Geoff I got all this information from 800XL who got it from your threads. I was meaning to go back and edit it with credits to you but I forgot your name when I was writing this thread

·
Registered
790 Posts
Geoff, I finally figured out why your original "big tie rod adventures" post is so hard to search up. Adventures is misspelled in the subject. :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Silly Canadians are as bad as the English with their spelling. ;-)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm not going to lie I've looked at that thread quite a few times and never noticed the spelling error. I always wondered why I couldn't find it using the search function.

geoffinbc said:
But no one cough it for over a year. So your just as guilty lol.
At this time I'd like to point out that it's spelled CAUGHT not COUGH. So we're back to silly Canadians. :lol:

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Sure because Canadian phones are preprogrammed to put the wrong word in there. ;-) It's cool auto correct hooks me up all the time. My friends always ask what Duck You is supposed to mean.

·
Registered
586 Posts
This project needs me to build it

·
Registered
124 Posts
What did you use to cut the tie rod ends?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I used a cut off wheel on a small grinder. Band saw would work well, or even a hack saw if you're patient. If you thread the nut on the TRE before you cut, it helps clean up the threads when you thread it back off.

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,192 Posts
steve mortillaro said:
What did you use to cut the tie rod ends?
I cut mine with a hacksaw. I expected the steel to be hardened, but it wasn't.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It wont matter if you cut a little extra off. Basically lay them out on the bench and note how much extra you have beyond the center of the sleeve and cut that extra off.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts