Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the sticky says, "yes."

I also measured and the tires will fit in the wheel wells front and back. I am not too worried about power or speed otherwise I wouldn't own a Trooper II in the first place.

What does worry me is wheel-travel and rubbing when driving offroad. I think the back should be fine, but the front looks like it might be tight. So, with the steering at full lock and the LCA on the bump stop, do 33x1050s rub?

Also, what size rim (width and backspacing) are folks using for this tire size?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My BFG KM2 Mts with side lugs rub slightly, not enough to worry about during the last 6 years. Tires with no side lugs are not likely to rub.

I have had 15x7 and 15x8 rims with stockish back spacing. Stock 15x6 rims are likely to rub.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

The BFG KM2s were the only m/t tire I could find in 33 x 1050 r15. I am stoked to hear that they fit with minimal rubbing.

Where were they rubbing? Could you fix it with a sawzall and /or BFH?

Also, looking around it looks like Cragar Soft 8 wheels are the cheapest offering for new steel rims. Any other options?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Get 15" snowflakes, or other alum 15x7(or 7.50) rim. They are the right width to carry your pizza cutters (which I am wanting lol) & they weigh less then steelies.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
psguardian said:
Get 15" snowflakes, or other alum 15x7(or 7.50) rim. They are the right width to carry your pizza cutters (which I am wanting lol) & they weigh less then steelies.

~psguardian
Heh, I wish. By all means, if you know of a place around here (PDX) where I can get my hands on 5 snowflakes, let me know!

I find the for the price people want for snowflakes on the internet and the scarcity of them around here, I am better off buying the Cragars. Another option is Toyota Tacoma rims. I found a place that was selling OEM '05+ Tacoma Steelies for $40 a piece.

Pizza cutters are where it's at, just stay off the beach.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I managed to get my paws on 5 16s that are painted black, just need to clean em up & find some tires for them.

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just pulled the trigger on five 33 x 10.50 15 BFG KM2 tires and cragar soft 8 15 x 8 4" BS rims. Got a decent deal at the local discount tire. Much cheaper than anywhere I could find online.

The goods should be ready on Friday. Hopefully I will have pics of them mounted early next week.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
chuffer said:
Just pulled the trigger on five 33 x 10.50 15 BFG KM2 tires and cragar soft 8 15 x 8 4" BS rims. Got a decent deal at the local discount tire. Much cheaper than anywhere I could find online.

The goods should be ready on Friday. Hopefully I will have pics of them mounted early next week.
AWESOME! :D

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...with a shoe-horn.

It looks like I should be OK for the most part, but I can already see that there may be some sawzall and BFH in my trooper's future. The biggest area of concern is the bottom of the firewall / footwell. I only have about 1/2" of clearance with the steering at full lock, but the tire should be traveling straight up at this location and as long as it does so I should be ok. Do the control arms have any rake to them?

Anyway, before picture looks kinda funny now:

Above 30x950s on 15x6 rims.

After pictures also look a odd in an overstuffed kinda way:

Above 33x1050s on 15x8 rims. Looks like the rear tires are already rubbing, but it is just the angle. I am confident the rear won't rub in all but the absolute max flexed out of positions and even then I may just get away with it.

EDIT: 10x8 to 15x8

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Looks great man... I just about took the 33x10.5 I have on my lifted trooper , and placed them on my 89 stock to see what you were getting in to. What did you give for the tires?, if you do not mind me asking .

Cheers

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imamonstertruck said:
Looks great man... I just about took the 33x10.5 I have on my lifted trooper , and placed them on my 89 stock to see what you were getting in to. What did you give for the tires?, if you do not mind me asking .

Cheers
Thanks. As for the cost, it cost almost as much as the truck itself...$1270 for 5 tires & 5 Cragar soft 8 rims mounted and balanced. Gave up a lot beer for those tires!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Those tires are excellent! 8" wide rims seem a bit much for 10.5" tires. Narrower wheels would help eliminate rubbing too... Good work.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
littlegray said:
Those tires are excellent! 8" wide rims seem a bit much for 10.5" tires. Narrower wheels would help eliminate rubbing too... Good work.
I ran both rim widths. Eight inch wheels tire wear is slightly better and handling is too. With the same back spacing wider wheels center the tire farther from the frame, so you are less likely to rub. And if you ever wanna run 12.50 tires 8" is far better than 7" ers.

All that said, I am quite happy with my 15x7 rims. There is no bad choice between 7" or 8" :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
hey chuffer im in lebanon oregon, nice looking trooper. those 33s look sick on there btw! :D when i get my trooper running ok we should go hit some trails sometime!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts