Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to go ahead and make a build thread starting with my hood repaint :)

here is what she looked like before I started. Clear coat was coming off and looking turrible

Here she is after sanding to metal in places, etch priming and sandable priming.

and here she is fine sanded and ready for final prime

Hopefully tonight I will be priming it and tomorrow evening I plan to paint and clear it :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jwood1016 said:
NEAT! so what are your plans??
to start with, I am trying to get it all black :tongue3:

since I have some flakes now I will be running 2 sets of wheels and tires, 285 75 16 mt's and 265 75 16 AT.

I plan on at least 2 more inches of lift and sometime in the next year or two will be replacing the top half of the motor and oil pump again to try and get rid of my wonderful tick tick tick.

I would also like to figure out some sort of onboard air system for tires, and have been thinking about an OX locker for the rear...

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hood is primed BTW :D

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Primed and painted...looking great with exception of the dents (don't plan to remove them...as it is still parked under that stupid acorn tree)

Tomorrow I will lay a third and fourth coat and then 3 coats of clear.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basejob said:
Hail damage?

Want to paint my truck next? :D
acorns...10 years of acorns :(

if you like what you see at the end and you want to buy the keg and paint....bring it on :twisted:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AustinT said:
looking good. Before you started looks just like my hood. Might just have to go repaint mine now!
it isn't hard at all, just time consuming and tedious sanding (4-6 hours)

I think when I get done it will have been well worth it!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
lookin good dman. im still trying to decide if i want to try to make my doors removable, be some work though with the power options.

·
Registered
401 Posts
dman4486 said:
AustinT said:
looking good. Before you started looks just like my hood. Might just have to go repaint mine now!
it isn't hard at all, just time consuming and tedious sanding (4-6 hours)

I think when I get done it will have been well worth it!!
Ya its not to bad at all. I did my doors and tailgate awhile back but i went and took a sander from my dads shop when i was back in town. made life easier. Once I can get my hands on one again I am thinking about possible putting on a whole color on the p'up

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mikeybikey82 said:
lookin good dman. im still trying to decide if i want to try to make my doors removable, be some work though with the power options.
ya know...I have been thinking of a way to achieve this....

I was going to try something like the jeeps door hinge where you just lift it off with a half hinge

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update....

wet sanded and final paint coat #1 is on. One more coat of paint and then 3 coats of clear tonight :) then a week of drying and then some buffing for a crazy awesome shine

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright...clear is down and drying :D

I am going to let this dry for a week at 75 degrees and then buff it up nice! I will take some pics tomorrow in the sun after 12 hours of drying. I can't stand the fumes anymore.

Ran into a little snag when I was finishing the last coat of paint..the work light fell from the mount I had it on above the hood and dented it really bad. I was able to wipe away most of the paint damage and hammered out the dent from under. I think I was able to blend the paint fairly well, but what is left of the dent is noticeable :(

guess we'll all see how it looks in the sun tomorrow assuming it is sunny.

I also removed the old rubber valve stems from the flakes and installed some bolt down steel ones that blend really well with them

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
dman4486 said:
Basejob said:
Hail damage?

Want to paint my truck next? :D
acorns...10 years of acorns :(

if you like what you see at the end and you want to buy the keg and paint....bring it on :twisted:
I might take you up on that deal if you're serious. :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lets see how mine comes out first :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
since I only had enough time for one or the other, I found this to be more important during my lunch break :)

Before

After

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nm...just snapped a pic of the hood on the way out the door. as it dries it sure does shine up well.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
That was bought from Breakaway Honda eh? They are just down the road from my office. 8)

1 - 20 of 244 Posts