Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing what I was up to this weekend.

Well, this isnt going to win any prizes for master craftsmanship but I was able to do this in one evening after work.

Started with the materials:

I took my measurements from the cruiser and cut out the basic shape.

I started making cuts and sewing in the nylon webbing. I am clearly no seamstress. I think this is the first time I've used a sewing machine since 7th grade home-ec.. and I failed that.

starting to take shape now.

Added the necessary hardware.

Here it is mounted to the top of the windshield frame. You can see here that I sewed a 1.5" wide piece of aluminum flat bad into a pocket on the leading edge and used 6mm bolts to attach the top to the windshield with the existing bungs.

Here is how it attaches. Never liked how the straps often go backwards towards the rear of the truck so I tried to mount them out of the way. I mounted eye bolts so the hooks would have something to attach to.

Here it is all done. I love the jungle green/khaki color with my OD green paint scheme.

It was fun. I learned a lot. If I ever make another one, I would do some things different but I think my basic design is pretty sound. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I didnt have any sunvisors in this rig and the morning or late afternoon sun was killing me so I had to rig something up. OEM visors are $80+ a piece so I got a set of isuzu visors from Ron. Thanks buddy.

I found a solution and fabbed up a mounting plate and was able to use these. A little paint and they dont look too bad. I maybe have about $10 in this. A far cry better than the $160 I could have spent. Anyways..

I started by cutting off some plates from a 1.5" flat bar. Cruiser bumpers make such wonderful work benches.

I started drilling out the holes and notches I needed to make the visors fit into the brackets and for the brackets to be able to mount to the windshield frame. Excuse my crude cuts. I only had a sawzall and a cordless drill to make this work.

Both cut out. you can see the visor pre-paint in this picture.

Primed and painted the brackets.

Trees make excellent paint hook locations. :rolleyes:

Here is how they mounted.

This is how they look from the outside.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. After all my rig is far from a show truck.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Heck yeah. That is really nice work.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shooter said:
Thanks shooter. Whats been going on with you man? You were kind of MIA for a while.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
stusvend said:
shooter said:
Thanks shooter. Whats been going on with you man? You were kind of MIA for a while.
I got a death sentence from my doc. That sucked and I lost all interest in everything with the exception of changing my life style, walking, and working out. Then we got hit with those tornadoes a month later so life wasn't real pretty. All is well now though I don't answer as many posts as I did previously. That's about it. :)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well glad to hear from you. I knew tornadoes right in your neck of the woods. Health wise, doing better?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
stusvend said:
Well glad to hear from you. I knew tornadoes right in your neck of the woods. Health wise, doing better?
Excellent. I had either "pre-diabetes" or "Type 2", high blood pressure, and too much visceral fat. Walking (knee) 4 miles every morning, elyptical machine most nights for 30-45 minutes, changed my nutrition, working out again (like when I worked :lol: ) and that did the trick. I am on a low dose of blood pressure meds though I should have probably been on them for decades. Dropped about 30 lbs in a little over a month with minimal muscle tissue loss and probably most importantly dropped the visceral fat count by half. Guess that's what a retired, sedentary lifestyle does to some folks. I have much more energy now, heat doesn't really bother me much, blah, blah, blah. It all began with a little ulcer at the corner of my mouth which I couldn't get rid of. Went to the doc, he put me through the assorted tests and I about pooped my pants with the results. He wanted me on diabetes meds and other meds. I told him to hold his horses and give me a chance to change my lifestyle. He kind of snickered and said no one ever does. I told him I would and he gave me 6 weeks. I went at it like a mad man. He was quite surprised 6 weeks later as was I. The little ulcer was unrelated and a dermatologist had it knocked out in less than a week with the proper ointment. That's about it. Thanks for asking buddy.

shooter

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Very cool. Turned out well. I brought back a sewing machine last time I went home. It's a small hand held one but I figure I'd work my way into a nicer one on down the road.

Nothing better than the feeling of having done it yourself!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cronk said:
Very cool. Turned out well. I brought back a sewing machine last time I went home. It's a small hand held one but I figure I'd work my way into a nicer one on down the road.

Nothing better than the feeling of having done it yourself!
Thanks Cronk. My stitches sucked. My fiancee was out of town (which is why I got to do projects) and I had to figure out how to load the thread and use it myself. Towards the end, I got better at it but the first couple of seems really looked awful. I definitely have a better appreciation for good sewing work now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts