Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me or have a pic of where the rotor button should be pointing at tdc because mine looks to be pointing at 3 or 4 and runs and drives but not perfect 2.6 liter

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
#4 with the timing marks lined up

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
If it's timed properly, the rotor will point at #4 inside the distributor; not the outside.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Well #1 and #4 are both at TDC at the same time, so if you ignore the cam position it can point to either. With the cam timing marks lined up though, it's #4.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Make sure it is the rotor button pointing at number 4 and not the notch in the top of the dist. shaft. The notch is on the opposite side so it points at #1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
U know about where to advance it where it would be best im trying to get a little more out of it so it would be better uphills

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
with a fully warmed engine and at idle, what is the timing sitting at and at what idle speed rpm?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
williethereaper said:
I have it half way from the middle to all the way towards the firewall 1000 rpm up and down a little
Sorry, I meant what are the degrees indicated by a timing gun at the timing tab and what is the rpm at those indicated degrees while the engine is idling with all accessories, lights, etc turned off.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
williethereaper said:
I dont have a timing light ill have to get one and see
Assuming timing is correct or near correct, do the following. Advance the timing a little bit until you first detect an increase in rpm. Tighten the bolt. Take the vehicle up a hill (street). If it doesn't ping, advance it more. Do this until you either notice a decrease in performance or more likely, pinging. Upon pinging, decrease the timing a tad until it no longer pings under load. That should give you the best advanced timing for power, etc yet not too much to cause pinging.

Reactions: williethereaper
1 - 15 of 15 Posts