Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I upgraded to the HD w/ my DishNet.

One of my favorite channels quickly became what is now known as Velocity (mostly automobile related).

Went to it last night in my on screen guide and it wasn't there.

After a quick google, discovered they moved it and a really good music channel to a newer pkg called Blockbuster XXBSXXBS.....

Been with them since 97.

Monthly fee is 94.00 and some change.

No premium channels.

Cutting to the chase, after 3 personnel, they agreed to move me to some other pkg which includes those 2 channels and many more which I don't have.

Sounded good so I agreed and thanked them.

Then told me I would need to upgrade to a DVR version of my HD receiver.

I responded that would be fine.

They then told me to upgrade my "leased" receiver, I would be required to sign the good ol' 2 year contract.

Being out of contract, I told them that was unacceptable and there would be no deal.

Probably switching to Direct TV before the end of the year. They have a "good deal". Their HD, one HD DVR receiver wirelessly feeding 3 regular HD receivers, free HD, blah, blah, blah. For my mid grade pkg which is the equiv of my current 94.++ pkg, the cost will be 40.00 monthly til 2013 at which time it will go up to 71.00 or whatever the pkg cost is then.

It's all BS however out here in the country I have little choice. I'll still be doing a 2 year contract however I can probably get by for 2 years holding my nose and crossing my fingers.

Thing is, I watch less than 10 channels and the wife watches less than that on her tv.

Note: Those 2 Dish Channels are exclusive to Dish only. Bye, bye channels.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
You might be able to catch episodes of your favorite shows on Velocity on Velocity's website.

There are a few good shows on Velocity I like. :D

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:
You might be able to catch episodes of your favorite shows on Velocity on Velocity's website.

There are a few good shows on Velocity I like. :D
That's an idea, however, My laptop screen is not much bigger than a pack of smokes and even at my age, I have more ram and hard drive :lol: .

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Its the same with all of them. They treat you good when you sign up, then they dont give a crap about you. Luckily I havent had any issues that I really care about with Direct but if I want to upgrade to HD at some point they arent going to do me any favors. This is why some ppl switch every 2 yrs after their contract is up.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Its the same with all of them. They treat you good when you sign up, then they dont give a crap about you. Luckily I havent had any issues that I really care about with Direct but if I want to upgrade to HD at some point they arent going to do me any favors. This is why some ppl switch every 2 yrs after their contract is up.
That's understandable. The games people play; oh well.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Since the beginning of November, our local radio has been running ads bashing Dish Network. The ads are put out by our local NBC affiliate because Dish dropped the NBC channel and all of the news and basic shows that they air. The ads are pretty awesome and give specific instructions about how to get them to reinstate the NBC channel OR get a refund. Then at the end, it lists all of the other local providers that will air NBC. NBC FTW!!!

A little over a year ago, our local power board updated their network to include smart meters that will report power usage back to their HQ without sending out a meter reader. Because of their infrastructure upgrades and need to have data cable at every home, they decided to offer Cable, internet and phone packages... and then they did it all with fiber!!! They offer packages from 30 mbps up to 1,000 mbps. And the best part is... THEY ARE NICE!!! My boss converted last week and they ran into an issue so the installer had to come back the next day. He got a follow up customer service call and was thoroughly confused: "You called me to make sure it was fixed? That's what I am supposed to do!" Comcast has been hurting ever since...

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
What are you getting for $94? I have DirecTV and pay around $60 for a decent HD package, includes local channels, local sports, no premium channels. I think I am getting the HD for free, that is $10/mo., as a "customer retention" deal.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
shooter said:
Note: Those 2 Dish Channels are exclusive to Dish only. Bye, bye channels.
Must be a re4gional thing. I have DirectTV & love it. And I have Velocity.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get basically the same pkg offered by Direct costing 71.00 (Choice Ultimate w/ HD) (on special til 2013 for 39.99) My 94.00 pkg included the bs 10.00 hd fee and 5.00 per receiver for local plus the "lease" of the 2 receivers therefore those 3 were a chunk of the 94.00 monthly. From what I can tell of the Direct newbie special, the 4 hd receivers, installation (which will be nothing to do) and my local channels are included in the 39.99 1 year special and then only goes up after 1 year to 71.00. 2 year contract required though.

Coyote, thanks for the headsup on Velocity. I found it listed at Direct. The Direct web site of the various packages still list it as HD Theater.

I do know the Direct installers in my area are topnotch, long employed whereas the Dish guys are quasi - transients. Not being ugly; just the way it is.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
OK, I don't have Ultimate, and only one receiver.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BigSwede said:
I'll never understand why a loyal, long term customer gets the shaft. Sometimes businesses get so large they forget who got them there. They offer the moon to newbies who show no evidence of staying with them yet the long termer is basically told to kiss off. Don't have to be a Harvard Business grad to see that flaw.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
shooter said:
BigSwede said:
I'll never understand why a loyal, long term customer gets the shaft. Sometimes businesses get so large they forget who got them there. They offer the moon to newbies who show no evidence of staying with them yet the long termer is basically told to kiss off. Don't have to be a Harvard Business grad to see that flaw.
Apparently, quite the opposite.

Being a business grad blinds you to the concept. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Selador said:
shooter said:
BigSwede said:
Apparently, quite the opposite.

Being a business grad blinds you to the concept. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeppie, you got a point there.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I've stopped watching TV. To me a fast reliable internet connection is everything. I watch a lot of shows on Hulu and the rest I just download from the bay.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Med!c said:
I've stopped watching TV. To me a fast reliable internet connection is everything. I watch a lot of shows on Hulu and the rest I just download from the bay.
I have no tv reception. No cable. No satellite.

I've been watching tv series on u-tube.

I also check DVDs out from the library.

Between the two, I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Selador said:
Med!c said:
I have no tv reception. No cable. No satellite.

I've been watching tv series on u-tube.

I also check DVDs out from the library.

Between the two, I'm happy with that.
hopefully SOPA doesnt pass, other wise the internet will turn into garbage. I think it's funny your library has DVDs. Wish I could say the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts