Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here tried using leaf springs from a different vehicle to put on their Troopers? i had a Suzuki Samurai, and i was able to buy a kit for it that allowed me to use leaf springs from a Jeep YJ. the YJ springs were about 8" longer so they gave the Sammy quite a bit more flex and the added benefit of a somewhat smoother ride.
OR, has anyone had their stock leaf springs re-arched. if so, did you get good results from this modification?

thanks in advance
cheers, john

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
OME springs give and inch of lift and are of a much better design. They also add to the GVW of the vehicle. I have done a lot of towing and off roading with them and I would never go back.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes. i know about OME leaf springs. i was just wondering if there was another option that would fit with some mild modifcations, such as ford springs or gmc springs. hasn't anyone tried to re-arch their stock springs??

john

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You can get an adda leaf to put in I did that on my first amigo. I took out the over load bottom leaf and had plenty od flex that would potentially gain you two or more inches of lift if not more.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Re-arched springs often don't hold long before settling out again. Not exactly cheap either. Don't know of any here who have done it. For the money OME's are hard to beat.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I had good success in my first gen amigo. I twisted it up quite a bit. It did settle a bit but I think the adda leafs where 50 bucks maybe. If your springs are really saggy then probly should get some different ones. Isuzu springs are fairly long though.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
squatch said:
Re-arched springs often don't hold long before settling out again. Not exactly cheap either. Don't know of any here who have done it. For the money OME's are hard to beat.
This is why I suggested OME springs. For the price you cannot beat them. By the time you buy old springs, clean them up and replace the teflon/plastic sliders and then hit them with some paint and make them fit which might include special bushings or shackles you will be way ahead if you just buy OME in the first place.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your comments and advice.

cheers, john

1 - 8 of 8 Posts