Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite I know this has been talked about a ton before and I've been researching the crap out of this but I've not really found what I want information wise, well kinda. I love troopers and I want a diesel trooper very bad but the 2.23L is under powered. Honestly I wish I could find a 4JB1-T but even if I got one at decent price its a motor that was never in US troopers so parts would be so darn hard to find for it. Maybe this can become some kind of collection of Diesel Trooper information thread. Is there any good diesel motor to put in the 1st gen troopers?

I know the NPR motor is too heavy, although I think a NPR made into a trail rig would be pretty cool but I need more information on them before I plan anything like that. Isuzudieselswapper.com has some pretty cool stuff but whats the point of having an Isuzu diesel if I ditch the Isuzu platform? Apparently the NPR motor is a popular swap for lots of machines. I'm borderline tossing around the idea of just making a rig out of NPR it self, granted if I could find one thats 5speed and 4wd

information so far
N/A C223 is kinda underpowered
4DB1T is stupid heavy
4JB1-T never came to america = hard to find parts(Except in an industrial format)
Compression on C223 is 21:1 N/A or Turbo'd

Links I thought were useful
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=51958&highlight=
http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?11480-NPR-on-37s-And-now-d60s

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
you know I was talking to some one about the NPR motors and putting them on troopers and what not and he said some one put on a dodge dakota and it wasnt much of a big deal

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
there rather rare, but there is a 4WD NPR model

can't remember if it came state side :?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
There are a lot of folks making npr 4x4 pick ups. Just use a dana 60 swap like everybody else. You can always use a divorced np205 transfer case.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
A NPR trail rig would be badical. You should do like an expedition style minimog type thing. That would be really cool.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you wanted a DIESEL Trooper, but were not particular as to what BRAND of motor goes in it, you can pick up a good old Mercedes Benz 300 Turbo Diesel for real cheap & swap that in. Not real sure how to make the 4x4 work with that though. For a 2wd aplication it would work great. I bought our 300D T'dsl a couple of days ago for $1500.00 and it runs like a dream. I accualy bought it whith the purpose pulling the motor & puting it into a future project, but now my wife wants to completely restore the old car! lol

Just a thought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder how much a NPR motor in a trooper would mess it up? I think my biggest worry would not be weight but if I could retain the 4WD. Although if you can put a 350 in a trooper ad retain 4wd you can use an adapter plate to make the NPR motor work I've seen older NPRs on CL for like 2k with the box on it. Hell I'd sell the box for at least $800 then chop the frame off right before the rear shackles and put a flat bed on it. Then again I cannot find any real answers as to if the 4x4 NPRs ever came to america. The more looking around I do the more I think that in a rig I'd like to be nothing extreme but I'd like something diesel. I though about since Isuzudieselswapper.com had the kits to make about any chevy diesel why not get like a real old blazer and NPR swap that. Honestly all this is just thinking but I wanted to know what everyone had as idea. Now back before I had the love for isuzus I do now and before my girlfriend had a trooper she was baby sitting for some extra cash for some people she knew they said I could come over so I did and in their side yard there was an old diesel pup but is said turbo on it and under the hood was a turbo diesel motor and in the back of the truck was a turbo manifold with the turbo still on it. Did the Pups ever have a turbo motor? Could you turbo the 2.23L motor? I would think that a turbo 2.23 motor would have enough power to make a trooper fun on the trails.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
yes pups in the same years as diesel troopers 86/87 where sold as turbo models 2wd and 4wd
granted i think some 2WD pups where still sold with out the turbo.

its the same engine as the trooper, and being 1,000lb lighter can flat move compared to a diesel trop.
a 4wd 86 pup has the same axils, trans and brakes as a 86 trooper.
if the pup is 81/85 its the non turbo engine with the same axils and brakes, with a 4sp model of the MSG because all 4wds 1985 and older are 4sp ONLY in pups, luvs and trops.

granted if its a 2WD pup then the oil pan is not the 4WD type

the 2.2L diesel was sold from 81 to 87 its just 86/87 are the only turbo years. and finding the turbo parts head, manifold, IP is quite hard.
sence the luv was sold in 81/82 they where sold with the diesel as well.

the only other autos to get this engine are very rare and insane rare
the 2WD S-10 and the 2wD 2 door s-10 blazers in 83/85 years. :shock:
these two autos do not use an Isuzu trans, they have an adapter to a Borg /worner T5 trans
also the ALT, P\S pump, A\C, VAC are all off the shelf common GM parts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah when I saw a pickup truck in the over grown weeds and stuff I went to check it out but didnt realize how rare it was really till just now. I might have to see if I can get that thing or maybe some parts off it. I wonder how hard it would be to turbo a N/A C223?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
its been done many times with no issues, but its not risk free, for some it has taken the engine out in the form of valves or a rod.
pups dont have the extreme rod blowing issues that troopers have, but it still can happen.
a boost gage and EGT gage would be a very wise investment to make shour your under the 1,000/1,200F mark

its a at your risk Cinda thing :wink:

i know one person that pumps a good 20+ psi in to a N\A engine an has done it for years no issues at all.
but he has those two gages and makes shur he stays in the safe range
hes also in FL and thats flat land :)

stock turbo engines where around 8/10 psi

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
See I know a good bit about boosting cars, lower compression is usually needed and its easy to find out how much stock honda blocks can handle and stock nissan blocks and so on and so fourth, I'm on like 4 other car fourms and I have a wealth of information about the Nissan 240sx and I feel pretty confident that I could turbo just about any car you just got to be careful but I've never known anything about putting a turbo on a diesel motor. At the moment I think my best bet looks to be maybe trying to turbo a C223 diesel motor if I want a diesel trooper

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
all 2.2L diesels are 21 to 1 with or with out a turbo :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm, Thats good to know. Sorry I'm such a newb, I got too involved into cars and kinda stepped away from the 4wheeling scene and lost touch with everything I ever knew now its coming back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also wanted to link to this thread that already on here

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=51958&highlight=

Its about swapping a NPR motor into a trooper and if its possible or not. I think that if a 350 can be put in a troop that means its using a 350 trans and if its 4wd still then http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/ can sell an adapter plate to meke the 4BD1-T bolt to the 350 trans. I think that 400ft-lbs of torque at like 2000k RPM in a troop would be fun.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The 4jb1T motor was sold in the states, just not in an on road application. They are used for a small variety of industrial power plants so parts can be ordered from dealers. Parts are readily available overseas and filters are also reasonably easy to find. But I recognize that it is not as simple as walking down to NAPA and getting new pistons. Course, the C223 doesnt have that simplicity either. I have a C223T in my 89 and even with my slight intake mod it doesnt want to cruise on the highway with 31's unless I push it. The 4jb1t and C223t share a similar block so some of the parts crossover, seals, thermostat, belts, block heater. There is also the 3.1 4JG2T but as far as I know it was never used here but it also shares alot of components with the 4JB1T so that makes it easier. They will both bolt right in to 1st gen troopers and that also makes it a nice and quick swap. I am installing my 2nd 4JB1 into my 86 right now.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Does it have to be an Isuzu diesel? Detroit and Cummins have a few small 3 or 4 cyl diesels that will work well in a Trooper.

I think it would be bad *** to see a 2 Stroke is a trooper!

The 3-71 is a 3.5L and the 4-71 is a 4.7L with 113 and 121 hp respectively. The 4-71 I know you can get in aluminum. The 3-71 may also be the same way.

The 53 Series is also a popular swap it was also available in aluminum! The 6V53 was use in the military and in boats in aluminum versions. One of the best power to weight diesels out there other than the Duramax and new Powerstroke.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Does it have to be an Isuzu diesel? Detroit and Cummins have a few small 3 or 4 cyl diesels that will work well in a Trooper.

I think it would be bad a-- to see a 2 Stroke is a trooper!

The 3-71 is a 3.5L and the 4-71 is a 4.7L with 113 and 121 hp respectively. The 4-71 I know you can get in aluminum. The 3-71 may also be the same way.

The 53 Series is also a popular swap it was also available in aluminum! The 6V53 was use in the military and in boats in aluminum versions. One of the best power to weight diesels out there other than the Duramax and new Powerstroke.
ONE THING YOU DONT WANT TO FORGET ON THE CUMMINS OR THE DETROIT, THEY ARE BOTH LOW RPM DLS,S ABOUT 3000 RPM AND THEY ARE MAXED OUT ,THE ISUZU DSL,S ARE ALL PRETTY MUCH HI RPM AND WILL GO TO 42-4400 RPM. , WITH THE LOW RUNNING ENGS YOUR ROAD SPEED WOULD BE SEVERLY LIMITED, WITH OUT GIANT TIRES SINCE HI WAY GEARS ARE ABOUT NON EXISTANT

·
Registered
38 Posts
A Cummins 4BT would be insane in a Trooper. I've seen one in a 4x4 or should I say AWD Dakota run in the 11s. And if Cummins engines are limited by low Rs, you should try telling some of us 700hp+ 5.9L guys we're doing it all wrong ;) :D 4.10s-4.56s would be fine unless your trying to join the Texas mile club.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
TCR said:
A Cummins 4BT would be insane in a Trooper. I've seen one in a 4x4 or should I say AWD Dakota run in the 11s. And if Cummins engines are limited by low Rs, you should try telling some of us 700hp+ 5.9L guys we're doing it all wrong ;) :D 4.10s-4.56s would be fine unless your trying to join the Texas mile club.
WASNT TRYING TO TELL ANY ONE ANYTHING EXCEPT THE FACTS ,THE CUMMINS ENGS ARE IN STOCK FORM ARE LOW RPM ENG , MODIFIED YES THEY ARE VERY POWER FULL, BUT I DONT THINK A MODIFIED ENG OF THAT SORT WOULD WORK TOO GOOD OUT IN THE WOODS,

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The 2 stroke Detroits are good to 4000RPM or a little more. But I do know what your saying. You would not want a diesel screaming along at 3000RPM on the highway like the stock gas motors do.

You going to want 3.42's or 3.83's if your looking for a diesel.

In my opinion Diesels are great and I would take one if I could get one. But the return on your investment in the swap will in no way be worth the money. For drivability gas is much better until you start taking about modern common rail diesels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts