Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 Trooper pretty much sight unseen for $2500.00, It looks great on the outside and is the anniversary edition, very cute. BUT...it needs new tires, a windsheild, the check engine light is on, the abs light is on, the tod checklight is on, the a/c dont work, it makes a horrible noise and shakes for about 10 seconds randomly while driving, the speakers are bad and the radio and cd changer dont work! Wow! Im real curious if the 4wd works being thats the reason I bought it, but not sure how to check it during the summer months. It has 175,000 miles on it, but again i will say the outside looks beautiful, has new running boards and a new tow hitch too. So the question is did i get burnt bad? And is it worth all the repairs or should i get rid of it before it costs me a fortune. Im a young single mother and cant put an arm and a leg into a vehicle. Suggestions welcome and appreciated!!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
amy said:
I bought a 2001 Trooper pretty much sight unseen for $2500.00, It looks great on the outside and is the anniversary edition, very cute. BUT...it needs new tires, a windsheild, the check engine light is on, the abs light is on, the tod checklight is on, the a/c dont work, it makes a horrible noise and shakes for about 10 seconds randomly while driving, the speakers are bad and the radio and cd changer dont work! Wow! Im real curious if the 4wd works being thats the reason I bought it, but not sure how to check it during the summer months. It has 175,000 miles on it, but again i will say the outside looks beautiful, has new running boards and a new tow hitch too. So the question is did i get burnt bad? And is it worth all the repairs or should i get rid of it before it costs me a fortune. Im a young single mother and cant put an arm and a leg into a vehicle. Suggestions welcome and appreciated!!
Guess it depends on who will be working on the vehicle???

Most of the things listed probable are not a big deal if you have the time and patiance to fix them.

ABS light on=good, now you know you have good brakes that wont go into the stupid isuzu grab and release mod when you really need them(my opinion only,we disconnect ABS on all our Isuzu's first thing,so do alot of folks)
AC doesnt work= to many variables for that one could be a switch,fuse,relay magnetic clutch etc.etc..do you really need AC? only you can answer that
Check engine light=99% of the time it's the OBDII telling you there is something wrong and it's causing emmision issues,have the local autozone etc check it for free....write codes down and have them clear them.
then get on here and figure out what they are so you can eleminate/fix them and maybe get better MPG
TOD lit is on= search here for tod light sure there is a thread with diagnostics etc.

So once again who will do the work???

Good luck and :eek:ccasion5: on your trooper purchase

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
amy said:
I bought a 2001 Trooper... very cute.
No, if you had just bought an Amigo, that would have been very cute. :)

All kidding aside, you have definitely come to the right place for Isuzu info. You will find a wealth of knowledge here (although I can't personally offer much assistance).

Good luck, and welcome to the planet!

·
Registered
433 Posts
$2,500 doesn't sound like an awful price.

Think of it this way. If you spent $1,000 to fix everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, you're looking at a $3,500 investment on a car you really wanted. That's not too bad is it?

What state are you located in & where was the car driven in most of it's life?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The price is not too bad all things considered. The biggest thing though is where is the car located and where was it driven its entire life. If its up in the "salt belt" your biggest problem may be a rusted frame that could end up being unsafe.

Have that checked out first thing and once you know the truck has a good strong foundation, tackle the other issues one at a time.

Don't throw any money into it until you have the frame examined!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sounds to me like you could still come out ahead. The check engine and ABS lights are no big deal, I would say. Mine have been lit up since I bought my Rodeo Sport, and it still rides like a new car. If you hire a pro, I could see you easily spending another $2000, but then you'd probably have the vehicle you want.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
For the noise, try to find the front drive shaft TOD sensor (at the front shaft output of the t-case I think) and unplug it. See if that gets rid of the noise. Seems similar to the noise the VX guys get when they lift theirs. Unplugging the front sensor seems to get rid of it. Its a starting point for diagnosing that at least. And, thats pretty much the extent of my knowledge about TOD lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts